Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ntldr missing re-installed file now it says it is compressed

• Please log in to reply

lost it all

lost it all

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to save my sons computer from a ntldr missing. I re-installed the ntldr file as well as the ntdetect.com file then rebooted now it is telling me that the ntldr file is compressed. Can anyone help me fix this problem ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you "reinstll" the two files? did you just copy them over? if so from where?

Method 2: Use the Recovery Console
1. Use the Windows 2000 Setup disks to restart the computer, or use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to restart the computer.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows 2000 installation.
3. Press C to repair the Windows 2000 installation by using the Recovery Console.
4. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type 1, and then press ENTER. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
229716 (http://support.micro...b/229716/EN-US/) Description of the Windows Recovery Console
5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
6. Type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
7. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one, where drive is the drive letter that you typed in step 4 of "Method 2: Use the Recovery Console," of this article:
copy drive:\i386\ntldr c:\

copy drive:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In these commands, there is a space between the ntldr and c:\, and between ntdetect.com and c:\.
8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
type c:\Boot.ini
A list similar to the following list appears: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If you receive the following message, the Boot.ini file may be missing or damaged:
The system cannot find the file or directory specified.
9. If the Boot.ini file is missing or damaged, create a new one. To do so, follow these steps:a. Use a text editor, such as Notepad or Edit.com, to create a boot loader file similar to the following boot loader file:[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
102873 (http://support.micro...b/102873/EN-US/) BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
301680 (http://support.micro...b/301680/EN-US/) How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows
b. Save the file to a floppy disk as Boot.ini.

NOTE: If you used Notepad to create the file, make sure that the .txt extension is not appended to the Boot.ini file name.
c. Type the following command at the Recovery Console command prompt to copy the Boot.ini file from the floppy disk to the computer:
copy a:\Boot.ini c:\

10. Type exit, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts.

OR

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

lost it all

lost it all

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running xp pro and a copy at that ..I did what you said and when i got to the c:\boot.ini it tells me that it is not a correct command

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you've actually got to type the word type

so at the prompt it would be "type c:\boot.ini" not just "c:\boot.ini"

lost it all

lost it all

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First ....THANK YOU....second.... I am still getting ntldr is compressed . any ideas on how to get it un-compressed ?I thought I might add that I have tryed to reinstall the 2 files again and I also did a bootcfg\rebuild as well as trying to just reinstall them a different way ....putting them on a floppy. never mind .....I think I got it now http://www.microsoft...z01a621675.mspx
look at allmost the bottom of page ...THANK YOU anyway James

Edited by lost it all, 05 May 2006 - 04:33 PM.