Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts even in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

nanook

nanook

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am running windows 2000 and I am having random restarts. My machine will restart if I am in windows, on the net or even checking my temps and voltages in the BIOS.

I am thinking that it may either be a bad Motherboard or even power supply - but I am not sure what to try first.

I've tried to reinstall windows (wipe my HDD and start over) but when I insert the cd... you guessed it a restart.

By the way my voltages are as follows

vcore 1.63
+3.3v 3.28
+5 5.10
+12 11.91
-12 -12.03
-5 -5.14
Batt 3.02
5VSB(V) 5.01

my temps seem normal to a little warm (around 42 - 48 for CPU)

On a side note I am running an Athlon 3200+ Barton but my BIOS only recognizes a 2400+ Could that also be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Nanook

Advertisements

headhunter600

headhunter600

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
did you install the new cpu? If so, is that when the restarting problem started? How much ram does the system have?

Any changes at all whether software/hardware just prior to the problem? Try running the computer with the cover off, making sure the inside is dust free and all cables and cards are properly connected.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please list your full specs, I am especially interested in the mobo and psu.

I can tell you that the cpu being recognized at 2400+ means its underclocked, that in it self would not cause the reboots but there could be other bios setting wrong and this could, but would usually not cause reboots when in bios.

Is this a true reboot, as in the computer restarts?

Or is it a shutdown as in the computer shuts down and does not restart unless the button is pushed?

Is this a new build?

My guess because of the reboots in bios would be bad or inadequate psu. I can explain more when you answer the questions and give specs.

Rick

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for writing back... I could use some extra brain power on this one.

This is not a new build I've had the system up and running for about a year now. I have been running a Barton 3200+ with a gig of DDR ram in dual channel.

Since the original post I found that the system was clocked correctly for the MSI mobo.

The psu is 450 w

I've recently added a DVD burner to my system and all was well for about a week then I would get random system restarts. These are full system restarts as in the power completely recycles. The system may work for 20 min or then an hour then bang restart. Sometimes it will then cycle several times and then lock with a blank screen with no post or beeps. :mad:

I initially thought it might be spyware etc. upgraded all drivers that I thought necessary including BIOS (all to no help) I have been running the system with no cover the last few days and have triple checked the connections as well as tried running the system with fewer components (unplugged the new DVD burner) with same results.

BTW - I downloaded memtest and that would work fine for a few minutes then the system would restart. Sometimes to 5% finished other times to 35 - 40 %.

very frustrating...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would replace the psu with a name brand 400w or better, I recommend antec true 430w.

I know your voltages look good but with what you describe the psu could just have a random drop or rise on one of the rails. There are methods of testing a psu here and you could try it but if the psu is fluctuating voltages at random times you would have to be testing it at that exact time.

I could be wrong and it could be the cpu or mobo but I would start with the psu.

I don't think it is the ram because if the system could not find usable memory it would beep and not post and if it would post you could at least run memtest with out a restart.

Rick

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think that I need to knock on some wood or an old SIMM chip - but your suggestion seems to be working so far. I have had my PC up and running for about an hour with a spare 400W psu. I think I will try the memtest just to see how it does... If all goes well then I'll go psu shopping tomorrow. (knock knock)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I think you'll be ok now that was a classic case of a flaky psu, but to avoid this again get a good name brand psu. Read that artical I linked to above and let me know what you think.

Rick

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I must agree with Doby. Adding a component like a DVD burner can put extra strain on an already flaky PSU. Too many people never understand the advantages of a quality PSU until they have one :tazz:

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
All is better in my computer world... (for now). I ran memtest for 7 hours last night with no restarts!

In the defense of my old psu it had actually been a pretty good one and had never given any signs of trouble in the last year that I had had it.

Thanks again for your help!!! This topic is SOLVED! :tazz:

Cheers,
Nanook