Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi mate, it won't attach says this file extension is not allowed to be uploaded to the site. It's a massive log, takes up more space than is allowed in one post. I tried to attach it as a word document but it wouldnt. It's 525 pages long :whistling: !! Can I eMail it or failing that split into 2or3 and do multiple posts. Don't wanna clog the system up though!

Adam

Edited by adamhaynes, 09 May 2006 - 04:58 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
zip the file then attach it

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Blinding idea, why didn't I think of that?! :whistling:
File is attached...

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you seem to have a lot of files that are not downloading properly

navigate to

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$

Delete that folder (and the numerous updates in it--folders starting with KB??????)

Re-visit windows update

rab9121

rab9121

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi There
Thank you for your help and suggestions. The suggestion posted by lorothrigs: Yesterday, 10:30 PM seems to have solved all my windows update problems. So once again thank you for all your help.
rab9121

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey

Where is the $hf_mig$ folder? I can't find one anywhere. There do seem to be lots of text files in the Windows folder beginning KB (the update numbers) should I remove those?

Adam

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's a hidden folder...open up a file search (start > search > for files and folders) and make sure that you click the advanced settings then click to look in hidden and system folders then put $hf_mig$ in the search box...and search..it should find it..you can delete the folder from the search window

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It's a file right? Can I delete that? There's no folder but a hidden file by that name yes...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's actually a hidden folder....there MAY be things inside of it that are also hidden from view...just delete the whole folder as gerry suggested (now that you've found it)

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No there's no folder just a file by that name...

Sorry! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you do the search for $hf_mig$ you get only one result right? what does the icon look like?

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah one result that's it. Just a file with the icon you see when there is no application linked to that file type (if I'd try to open it it would give me a list of recommended programmes I can open it with).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
delete it

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Bang on! Is downloading and installing the updates as I write this.
Thanks so much, I'll be back to let you know the final result later, or, if I have any further problems with it!
Until then.... thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thanks for stepping in dsenett,

Normally, it is a folder

IF the folder is not there, and it is a FILE, that means the screwup occured very early in the download--ie, rather than creating a folder to put the updates in, something went awary and the folder was not created, but a file with the same name was.

The error you were getting was telling you that "Hey, I cannot put the updates in the folder for some reason."

You should, when updates are done, have a folder there with the same name.