Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer is completely frozen

• Please log in to reply

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Most of my programs won't open. The only ones i can access are microsoft word, ad-aware, symantec, and probably one or two others.

My IE icon has disappeared as well and has been replaced by the white paper with the folded corner. When I try to open my programs (like WMP or System Restore), everything freezes and does not respond unless I end the task.

My Ad-aware always gets stuck at a point where it says something like "SharedDocuments/DLL..." and Symantec comes up clean every time. The last time Symantec came up with something was three Dialers, and 5 Securityrisk (?) viruses.

I disconnected my PC to the modem and am using my laptop right now.
Even if I reconnect my PC, i still don't have any access to the Internet whatsoever because the Internet Explorer does not respond from the Start menu and my MSN freezes up as well.

Oh yeah, this began last Friday (4/28/06 i believe if that's any help)
and I didn't have a hijackthis program prior to this event thus i can't post anything.

Thanks

Edited by agtjackbauer24, 07 May 2006 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi agtjackbauer24...

Let's take a look at a few things and see if we can get you running again.

How much function do you have? Can you bring up the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete? How about the Start button, can you access the "Run" command by clicking "Start" then "Run"?

wannabe1

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Wannabe1
thanks for taking the time to respond:

My Task manager does work; it's how I force quit the programs that open but immediatly don't respond.

My Run command opens, but I do not really know how to use it; however, there does not seem to be any trouble with it.

I can tell you that the Search program and my Control Panel does not work as well. The loading icon appears next to my mouse, but nothing opens up.

If you want me to try any other programs, just list them and I'll be happy to do it.

Thanks,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Let's see if the Registry Editor will open. If it does, we'll check a couple settings in the registry.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit.exe, and click "Ok". Does the Registry Editor open? If it doesn't, let me know and we'll try a different method to get to it.

If the Registry Editor opens, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Do your programs now open?

wannabe1

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry I was away for a couple of days, but here are my results:

When I got to the Shell, there was already the Explorer.exe under the Data. I retyped it anyways and rebooted, but nothing has changed. Most of the programs still freeze or do not respond.

Don't know if you want to know about this: I used Ad-Aware again (I stated it in my first post, but I didn't type it correctly) and it freezes when it is deep scanning the local registry (Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs...)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's look at another setting before we dig into the dll issue with AdAware.

In Registry Editor, expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Are the values for this key also correct?

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Both are correct.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you open task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok. It finished.
I don't know if anything was suppose to happen, but yes it did work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it made any difference

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
None that I can find.

Oh, I forgot to mention: My computer has slowed down quite a bit, such as the loading time when I shut it down and turn it on. (Not in hibernate mode though)

And also, when I turn the computer off or try to restart it, the computer has to end a lot of programs before it finally does my command.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what kind of programs running continuously on your computer
some maybe just be the ones slowing it down
some programs are harmful

agtjackbauer24

agtjackbauer24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I never installed anything prior to this.

I was playing a computer game when my computer crashed; I had turned my firewall off, but I do it every time I play so the game can connect as my firewall blocks the connection from the game to its servers.

As for continuous programs, I don't think I have any program that keeps running.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum