Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot make DVDs-Sonic MyDVD Plus missing MyDVD.MSI

• Please log in to reply

lucliz

lucliz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have an HP Media Center PCm7170n. I have never been able to make a DVD. I have followed the instructions and when accessing Sonic's MyDVD Plus, (came 'bundled with system) after the system tries to configure it, I receive this message:

Sonic MyDVD Plus"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'MyDVD.MSI' in the box below" Use source c:\hp\tmp\src\"

After exhaustive attempts including using the re-installation option in the PC Software Repair Wizard - and following all the recommendations from HP - (and after dealing with all that-needed extensive mental health therapy-not to mention carpal tunnel repair...) it's 3 months later and I'm ready to try again!

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem - please help, I really wanted to make recordings of missed programs to watch on DVD at my leisure, and... and...

lucliz

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you looked for a D drive / recovery partition in my computer, the use source may be D:\hp\tmp\src

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried searching the D drive - or partition and did not find any matches.
lucliz

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try Use source D:\hp\tmp\src\ instead of Use source c:\hp\tmp\src\

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, I received this reply

"the file 'd:\hp\tmp\src\' is not a valid installation package for the product Sonic MyDVDPlus.
Try to find the installation package 'MyDVD.MSI' in a folder from which you can install Sonic MyDVD Plus"
I have searched both drives for this file, it's just not there - or hidden very well... I have tried getting help from Sonic, Microsoft and HP - all fingers point to others...
lucliz :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for sonic in C or my computer

winemakerbr

winemakerbr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did this ever get answered. I was installing something else today which required me to reboot. When I did I got the same error message as above. There is no file nor any directory anywhere on my computer that has any resemblance to this. I don't want to install it but when I say cancel, it keeps coming back every minute or so.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and remove the ticks for Sonic, click apply and reboot

Tick do not start the configuration utility when it gets to the desktop

Majmun

Majmun

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm having the same problem. I'll try what you said Keith. p.s. Thanks for taking the time to help me with my Nero program, even though it didn't work out like I want, but my internet downloads seem to be a lot faster.

EDIT: Now that I've looked at it, I can't find anything about Sonic MyDVD in start up.

EDIT 2: I found this and it may help you.

http://forums.techgu...ic-burning.html

EDIT 3: I just spoke with an HP technician and he told me to go to start up>msconfig>start up tab> uncheck DMA Scheduler then restart. He said that files were corrupt in the digital media archive application.

Edited by Majmun, 26 September 2006 - 08:01 AM.

jlb11

jlb11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Keith, if you're still here (there?). I am having the same problem with the Sonic error message. I attempted to follow your instruction to remove the ticks but I have no Sonic reflected to remove the ticks from. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

Advertisements

luvkcchiefs

luvkcchiefs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem! Used to work great. any suggestions?

bigdoug

bigdoug

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I have had the same problem with Sonic. I found the answer on techguy.org, after many hours of serching with no help from sonic. Originally Posted by Redcap66
Just had a chat with HP and they were very helpful- To solve this you willhave to remove the My DVD Plus application then re-install it using the following way: Start>PC Help and Tools>Hp Application Recovery>Select Application Install - I did this and there were no problems - To remove go to add and remove programs click on My DVD click remove and uninstall. Close add and remove and then follow the
Start>PC Help and Tools>Hp Application Recovery>Select Application Install. This was posted by Redcap66, we all need to thank him alot!!

rushstern

rushstern

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same issue and ended up uninstalling all Sonic software from Add/Remove programs, then using the HP application recovery again to get it to work.

yuppy1

yuppy1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Both my nero and sonic stopped working weeks apart. Nero is old and have problems in the past so I finally gave up on it but the problem with mydvdplus is solved due to bigdoug's post. I cannot thank you enough. Sure glad that I found this site. Keep up the good work.

billybluster

billybluster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am getting similar error messages - "Try to find the installation package 'MyDVD.MSI' in a folder from which you can install Sonic MyDVD Plus". I have a Dell PC with Sonic software that came pre-loaded with the desktop 2 years ago [no disks]. I removed the Sonic software yesterday. I did a restore today to get it back. However when I try to re-install I get the error above. Anyone know how to resolve this problem on a Dell PC. thanks