Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU for dell 2300

• Please log in to reply

groovemaster1

groovemaster1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can I buy a std ATX psu & rewire it to suit a dell simension 2300.
I got this d2300 (MB,cpu 17.GHz celeron, powerlink LPK 2-30 400W & case) when i boot it into BIOS it gets there & then the LED's on the keyboard blink & go out & i have to reset because the KB is not functional anymore!!! So I moved the KB, mouse, monitor back to my main PC & booted the dell to get the xp cd that was in the cdrom, so i power up & press the eject button........get the cd & close the tray, when i hear a pop & see smoke coming out of the psu. I opened it I saw a burnt broken transistor.
I was using a hdd & RAM from a dell D2100 & they both still work, so did I fry the D2300 MB??? How can i know???
Before i actuall hook up RAM & HDD, I would power the D2300 with the cpu alone & get the beeps & leave it on for a while & nothing bad happens.
I got from a friend who owed me some $$$. I got it with the powerlink psu (I thought he actually got a std atx psu to work on the dell)

Why this happened?
Is the MB & cpu still good?
Can i rewire a atx psu for the D2300?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
heres a pretty good tutorial on it and you can buy the adapter from them.

http://www.endpcnois...u=dellconverter

PC Power and cooling makes PS's for dell computers.

http://www.pcpoweran...lector/dell.htm

SRX660