Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiping Out Everything - HELP ME PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

ThePlantMan

ThePlantMan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, I have decided to wipe out everything on my computer and then put it back on. I backed up the files i wanted and needed on my 30gb iPod Hard drive. and I have XP Pro CD but its older version [like SP1 or something] and I don't know wat to do. I click "Install Windows™ XP" but it comes with with "This is older version and blah blah" and etc. Plz help ;'[

Advertisements

ThePlantMan

ThePlantMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
**bump**

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You bumped a thread after 6 minutes thats out of order, its rude even if the thread has been a while but after 6 minutes thats just ridiculous.

You need to boot from the CD.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Fdisk the drive, maybe even format it as fat32, with a win 98 floppy. Set the boot order in the bios to CD first and boot from the cd and install. you will have to activate the XP again..

SRX660

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you could also just set the boot order in the bios to boot from cd first. restart with the xp cd in. navigate to where you install the os. it will list partitions. delete all partitions. create a new big one (ntfs), or a few, whatever you want. install on that partition. and btw. i dont think you would have to re-activate, opon re-installing xp on a one of my computers with no changes to the hardware setup, it did not ask me to activate again.