Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
When I try installing games which are suitable for windows xp such as the sims, I get an error meassage which says:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close to terminate the application.

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the XP Fix here, 2 down

XP Fix

weaselman

weaselman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Which sims are you installing?

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank you so much for the xp fix link. It has replaced the corrupt files/ error. You deserve an award.

Cheerz :tazz:

a66ash

a66ash

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI,
I have the same problem in windows 2000 prof., did you have any patch or fix for this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Here's how Microsoft have you go about resolving it, not as easy as XP. Will have a look for something else if this does not work. Let me know

Knowledge Base Resolution

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ignore the title, if you scroll down to applies to W2K Pro listed

DocDiel

DocDiel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Good afternoon! I have followed several of the fixes for windows xp autoexec.nt problem. And each of them has worked until I shutdown my laptop. Upon reboot I get the same error again. So far I copy the autoexec.nt file from Windows/repair into the system32 folder and it works until I shutdown again. Got an suggestions on how to make this fix permanent?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Fix 2nd post self installs and no-one has mentioned it not being permanent

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
To make that permanent, go into c:\windows\system32\ and make autoexec.nt, config.nt, and command.com read only, they will stick after a reboot that way.

Advertisements

DocDiel

DocDiel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Keith,

After figuring out the correct way to save the autoexec.nt in read only and text format, your solution works just fine. Thank you so much!

DocDiel

DocDiel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Cryptie,

You solution worked just fine. Please see my original reply to Keith above. Thank you so much. - DocDiel

bellieblack

bellieblack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OKAY GUYS LISTEN UP - This is the BEST way to fix this problem. I had exactly the same problem - c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt missing and i tell you it was damm annoying. I tried a few things, and then finally i fixed the problem.... easy as PIE.

Right all you need is someone who has another WINDOWS XP computer and a black CD!

1) Go on your friends computer and go to run and enter:

c:\windows\system32

2) in this file, find autoexec.nt (there are a lot in there, but its near the top - its a programme)

3) Put a blank formatted CD into the drive, and COPY this file onto the CD

NOW back to your computer -

1) Put the cd into your drive, and copy this programme file into your system32. (to get there c:\windows\system32

AND THATS IT!! It worked for me! I tried all the other ways and they were either too complicated or didnt work with the windows XP cd!

Seriously try this, it worked for me i promise. :tazz:

Any questions email me, Annabelle 18

EASY EASY EASY PEASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

wannaBgeekAleek

wannaBgeekAleek

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Get the XP Fix here, 2 down

XP Fix

View Post

I had that same Windows error when I attempted to open a Form Flow file.That was too easy!! The patch immediately fixed the problem. :tazz: Thanks again.

crzychse

crzychse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) :tazz: :) :woot: kept getting message C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. error found this site and found "win fix" link and at last i have the problem fixed THANK YOU SO MUCH!! local comp tech had no clue what i was talking about when i asked about this problem tryed windows update did not help or even address problem i was having keep up the good work will tell everyone i know about this site who has a problem EVEN THE TECH i asked !!