Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overriding Onboard Graphics

• Please log in to reply

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've got an ASUS motherboard with fried onboard graphics - bootup shows random partial graphics and (AMI BIOS) beeps seem to indicate it's a graphics malfunction (I think that's what I concluded a couple of months ago). The MOBO is about 7 or 8 years old, around 800MHz - good enough to run the kids' educational software as an extra machine - and was running fine until the graphics problem. If I can get it running, it'll get a spare 120MB WD I have sitting around. I don't have the SN# or Model# of the MOBO in front of me right now, but I could add that here later if needed. What I want to know is how I might install an older PCI graphics board to make it work. Can I just plug it in, or do I have to also change some jumpers to get the MOBO to recognize the "new" card?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to check the mobo manual you can get it from asus website, but its usually a bios setting try looking in bios to disable onboard, but it should be as simple as installing the pci card as it normally will select the non onboard video device automatically.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should just have to plug the pci card in to get it to install itself...the problem here is that for it to work properly and for windows to use it you h ave to disable the onboard card in bios first...can you read any of the bios info enough to disable the onboard graphix?

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Of course, the other option is to simply install a new MOBO. If you have a recommendation for an inexpensive MOBO, I'd appreciate that too. It doesn't need to be anything special - 1GHz or so processor with a couple of USB ports. The BRAND NAME (or vendor) recommendation would be the most important thing.

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I remember booting the machine up a couple of months ago and banging on the 'delete' and function keys to try to get to the BIOS, but I don't remember if I was able to get into it. I don't think I was able to, but I'll try again. A friend gave me this machine - he was throwing it away and I took it for the case thinking I'd put a new MOBO into it and build a new machine for myself. But I tried powering it up first to see if the MOBO was in any way salvageable...