Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Problem

• Please log in to reply

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I had a lil problem with my computer, and when i tried to log onto my user, it would automatically log me back out......

So i did a repair

It went ok, now when i try to open a file via windows media, it keeps giving me:

An Internal Aplication Error Has Occured....

Why is this?

Please help, thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Greetings Please...

I find Windows Media Player to be quite the problem child when something goes awry.

Some info please

You did the repair and the original user profile now works? Or did you create a new profile? How did you do the repair?

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i just booted via windows xp cd, and pressed r key on the installation, just to reapir it...

all my files are still there and the users are still there... windows media seems to be the problem...

a re-installation didnt work either :whistling: (a re-installation of windows media player 10)

i didnt create a new user

Edited by pleasehelpmenow, 09 May 2006 - 06:05 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could you temporarily create a new user and see if the issue repeats with the new user?

WMP has several user specific files in several directories that may be corrupted

If the new profile works we know something in one of these directories is screwed up

C:\Documents and Settings\(profile name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

C:\Documents and Settings\(profile name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media

C:\Documents and Settings\(profile name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
temp user still gave same error.....

what next?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Technically, Windows Media Player cannot be removed, but I have found on more than a few occassions that manually blowing it away and reisntalling it completely will resolve the issue

Try this:

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101331

pleasehelpmenow

pleasehelpmenow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
it gave me some error sayin about cant logon because of user restrictions or something, so i cant even logon as admin :S

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what? short of password and administrator account, there is no user restriction to logging in as THE ADMINISTRATOR

what version of windows xp do you have?