Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HiJackThis Log Analyzer

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Would like to know how effective this tool is if anyone would like to check it out and post results:

Hijackthis Log Analyzer (Beta)
Ron

edit: ron, i hope you don't mind but i went ahead and edited out the link. especially with don's post down at the bottom...if someone comes to this thread and doesn't read the whole thing...they could use this substandard (read dangerous) tool and mess their system up

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll tell you like all the geek u mods will..the automated deals are no where near as effective as a live person who knows what they're doing...

i checked that one out...and i don't like how it asks for a user and password that isn't neccessary....i also don't like how it just tells you to fix something without telling you what it is that you're fixing (doesn't list an infection name when it finds something funky...sorry but i'd like to know why i'm deleting what you tell me to delete)...plus it just tells you what to FIX in hjt...not what to delete...or what to uninstall...or anything like that....i think it sucks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have to agree with dsenette on this one. It takes a trained eye to pick out the difference between what malware adds to a machine and what is a necesary file for Windows when confronted with two files of the same name.

HiJackThis is a very powerful tool and it's use is best left to the experts.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought too. I don't have Hijackthis installed and was hoping someone with more experience would try it and see if the results were good. Nothing like a human being with experience. Kudos to the guys and gals in the Malware Forum.

:whistling:

Ron

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
it also many times lists good things as bad, and bad things as good. :whistling:

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204

Questionable

Are you using an ActiveX object with a name 'Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool' located in 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204'? If not, fix this item.

:whistling:

This is to be left up to an average user ?

http://castlecops.com/atxlist-380.html
is a link for what the above actually is

stay away stay very away