Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Am I Secure (?) and Program Removal Too

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I cannot seem to get a clear, "confident" answer from my ISP tech support folk(S) (plural). I don't believe my Windows 2000 Professional edition OS has a built-in firewall (?). Can anyone tell me, unequivocally, if my (FREE) Yahoo! Online Protection Suite includes a firewall? Is it safe to download one (suggestions appreciated) if I already have, or may have, one? :blink:

Secondly, I have 236 MB worth of J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 (updates 1 & 6) - what are they (?), do I need them (?), and if not - how the heck do I get rid of `em - they keep locking up ("no longer responding") on me everytime I try to remove them?? :help:

Thanks in advance - g :whistling: :) :) :D

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
First fo all im not a user of yahoo so im not sure of that but if you want a free firewall you can get zonealarms free firewall its pretty good. Just make sure you download the free version and not the 30 trial of zonealarm firewall pro. go to Zone alarm homepage

second J2SE is java runtime envirement 2 and some programs and apps use it to function properly for example you might want to have for online stuff or for some P2p apps, if i were i wouldnt delete it unless you were running out of space on your hard drive but if you were to uninstall it then, go to add remove programs in control panel or where ever you uninstall stuff, i use win xp so im not sure of 2000.

by the way when did you get J2SE and how?

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
by the way when did you get J2SE and how?
[/quote]

Thx BMW - I don't really recall when I got J2SE - I want to say I downloaded it from their site sometime in the last year, but it may have already been on this hard drive that was given to me.

Thx again - g :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
sure no probelm thats what were here for. Ill give you a tip if you find software that you do not need dont download it or download it but dont install it until you need to otherwards it will just ocupy more space in your hard drive. About the firewall id consider downloadin it or if you want ot you can buy the whole internet suite from zonelabs which includes spam filter for OE, antivirus, firewall pro, spamtool and more, IM security.

If you have all that stuff just get the free firewall like i said its pretty good. :whistling:

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok - THX! :whistling: