Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Purchases & NAV 2006

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... Thank you for your recommendation. I will try it out as soon as my PC is back to normal.

Johanna.... Thank you for your response. However, I'm not sure I understand what the "NIS package" recommendation entails. Does this have something to do w/ Norton?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Norton Internet Security includes anti virus and firewall protection, plus spyware prevention, ad blocking, privacy controls and more.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... In my attempt to install NAV 2006 I uninstalled all Symantec products from my PC, including Norton System Works w/ the included NAV 2003. It took some effort, but I was able to install NAV 2006, which is currrently operating. I have not yet reinstalled Norton System Works 2003 since shortly thereafter I encountered the Malware problem I described earlier.

FWIW

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
One of the biggest complaints people have about Symantec products are the difficulty of uninstalling them. Symantec writes special complicated help pages for manual tweezer-extraction style dramatic uninstalls. In my experience, the best way to eliminate a Norton product from a system in a clean install of the OS, and I'm not kidding, the hassle is that bad. Norton spiders deep into the registry, and I have no doubt that if a nefarious mind at Symantec decided to play havoc with the world, a few keystrokes would crash millions of computers at the next Live Update. Every 4 hours, Norton connects to the server, and then has permission to do anything it wants to the system. (How many other softwares allow you to override Windows?) So, using Norton is a leap of faith.

The second biggest complaint about Norton is that it is a resource hog. On reasonably current hardware, Norton doesn't lag any more. It used to be cumbersome, especially when we had tiny hard drives and 256 gigs of memory was a lot!

Norton makes it easy to "idiot proof" a computer's settings, too, with the password protection. People like me who get the phone calls are relieved that the users can't change the settings because people tend to panic and blame Norton when something goes wrong, then worse, they decide to "fix it", usually starting with disabling the firewall (a big no-no if you are online, other than last ditch troubleshooting efforts) and that is where the problems really begin! Once an inexperienced user starts to monkey with Norton, bad bad things happen.

I did not mean to hijack your thread with my lone voice in the wilderness defense of Norton. I know there are better alternatives available for some users, including me, but since I have to support it, it's easier to use it daily so I know how to tell people to configure, maintain and repair it. This is just my opinion, not the opinion of G2G, so that and a dollar will get you some coffee.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... My home PC is clean per my GTG consultant today I intend to switch to Nod32 for AV software. I have read numerous positive comments & ratings re: Nod32 (over TrendMicro, Norton, FSecure, Panda, McAffee, Ewido, et al). However, I am disturbed re: your comment that complete removal of NAV will require a complete reload of my OS. To call this a hassle is a major understatement. Are all AV companies software similar? God forbid, seems like a gun to the head to me. As for the coffee.... I will need a bottle of tequila if you are correct :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
ProEd,
You can uninstall Norton and install the software of your choice without fear that the leftover remnants of Norton will disturb anything lying around in your registry. Some people cannot tolerate obsolete and redundant odds and ends in their systems because they are still in a Win9X mindset, but XP doesn't care, and will ignore the extra entries. A tech examining your system will know you once had Norton installed, but, hey, so what and who cares? If you are determined to remove every last trace of Norton, it's easier to wipe the drive than extract the zillion entries. I didn't mean to imply you HAD to wipe the drive. I hope I explained myself better.
Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... I am not concerned w/ remnants that NAV might leave behind, so long as they do not interfere w/ my OS, new AV software, or anything else or tie up an inordinate amount of memory. Your explanation is clear on this so I won't worry. Thank you.

Three questions.

1. Is there any practical difference between uninstalling NAV manually or uninstalling using the Symantec online uninstall tool?

2. Does it help to run, say, RegSeeker or similar software after uninstalling NAV?

3. I have read that it is crucial to have no more than one AV software installed (whether disabled or not) on a PC at any given time. Your comments? If feasible, I would like to disable NAV w/o uninstalling while testing Nod32.

Again thanks and bless all you folks supporting all us pilgrims who visit GTG for help. By the by, my occupation involves technical troubleshooting as well, 24/7, but in a different engineering discipline. So.... I appreciate and empathize w/ you. I've read some rather curt and unappreciative comments in the "Comments and Suggestions" pages from a few who evidently have no sense of the term "Triage". There are only so many MD's on the front lines. I do Triage every day as do you. Keep the faith!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
1. You should be able to uninstall NAV from Add/Remove without problems. The online tool is for those who require more complete registry cleaning, or run into a brick wall.
2. Some people routinely recommend reg cleaners, but XP ignores the superfluous entries, and I've never seen an appreciable difference in performance from using a reg cleaner. I have seen people use them without caution or awareness of how they work, and make more problems for themselves than they had in the first place.
3. As long as you disable Norton AV and take it out of the start up, you should be able to leave it installed while trying out another software. Because you want to make the best decision for your system, that is probably the most practical way to test out your options.

I deeply appreciate the kind words. Everyone at G2G is a volunteer (Admin is frugal!) and the thank yous and the people who bother to post back with their success make it worthwhile. and easier to ignore and dismiss the surly, ungrateful or rude posters as the exceptions.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... You and your G2G colleagues are sincerely appreciated. Read my commentary tonite (06132006) on the "Comments and Suggestions" page. I posted tonite a comment on this topic (Triage). Specifically look for ProEd's post. There are many more appreciative pilgrims than not. You are appreciated, belive it! And keep the faith.

Do not ever become stressed by "Drama Queens/Kings". There are so many. I deal w/ this every day in my business. BUT, you and the G2G staff deal w/ so much more, on your time. GBYA. You are appreciated.