Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade ! whats the best to buy,?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,
Didnt take long to start upgrading my brand new pc,,, only had it a week and want to sort out the memory already !!!
The pc is a compaq presario 1739, and came with 1 gig of " DDR2 533 ( 266MHZ ) PC2 4200 ",,, Want to add another gig, but the bloody mb only has two memory slots, so am gonna have to look around for 2 x 1gig modules.

Question is,,,, is there a difference in quality betwween , the value modules,, and say the crucial modules ???? there seems to be a huge variation in price.
What should i be looking for,,, bearing in mind that my old pc was running on a gig of pc800, which apparently was " VERY NICE RAM ",, ????

Would just like some advice on what options are open to me,, before i start spending cash,,
Cheers,, kev.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well quality is important for reliability and performance but value isnt always bad, corsair value select is still excellent quality and has a good price and corsair is the best ram you can get witha good warranty and the value is still great.

If you want to overclock you will want better quality stuff but in 1gb dimms you want at lesat value stuff from a good company.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Warriorscot,,
Thanks for that,,,Still a few questions though !!!

What does the difference in " mhz " stand for ??

IE/ My old pc800 stuff was 400mhz,,, this pc4200 is 256mhz,,
so what does that mean in terms of performance ???

Also,,, i know that " ECC " is error code correction, but,, does it matter if ram is ECC or NONE ECC,,
can you mix the two together in seperate slots ???

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
the MHZ reffers to the clock speed, which is usually in relation to the CPU FSB. ECC memory is usually only for servers. and yes, quality does matter, but only to a point. i have bought whitelabel RAM and had it still work just fine.

why not just buy *one* 1gb RAM stick? a gig by itself will do everything, and more RAM will do everything more quickly, but it seems rather a waste of $$$ to buy two 1gb sticks when you can get one (only replace one of the 512mb sticks) and get performance so close to the 2gb you probably would notice unless you do serious gaming.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks Dragon,,,
Have just bought a 1 gig stick of ddr2 pc4200 off ebay for £48,,,, its not a make i am familiar with,, think its called nanaya or something.
But,, as you say,,, 1536mb will be more than enough for what i need.
Just hope this brand is ok,,,
cheers mate,, kev.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
i love eBay. LOL. i have bought that brand of RAM off eBay in the past and have had a positive experience.

Neo.CDT

Neo.CDT

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks Dragon,,,
Have just bought a 1 gig stick of ddr2 pc4200 off ebay for £48,,,, its not a make i am familiar with,, think its called nanaya or something.
But,, as you say,,, 1536mb will be more than enough for what i need.
Just hope this brand is ok,,,
cheers mate,, kev.

Its Nanya and i think its a chinese brand.
Anyway here is their website in case u want to learn more about them
http://www.nanya.com/