Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using default sound options

• Please log in to reply

Tricky

Tricky

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys
Simple question for you. I've taken off the speakers from my PC as I am using a Mac for the bulk of my media work.I just now want to enable the default monitor speakers for MSN messages etc etc.

Can you help please??

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not entirerly clear what the question is....if you hook up the monitor speakers to the soundcard output on the pc, isn't that what it does?

Tricky

Tricky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry -0 my vague question. i want the only sound to be from the monitor. is this possible?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it could just be me, maybe I am having a dense day (lord knows Ihave them, often enough), but let me try to clarify what I think you said.

You removed your nice speakers from your PC and put them on the mac

You have some el cheapo speakers that are connected to your monitor and you want sound to come from them?

If so, your monitor should have a speaker wire that needs to be run from it to the soundport on the pc

am I missing something?

Tricky

Tricky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK- I have NO SPEAKERS connected to the PC. I just wanted to get basic alerts / alarms / MSN sounds from the LCD MONITOR!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You want to get sounds from a monitor without speakers?

Can't do that.

Some PCs have built in system speakers (sits inside the case and this speaker makes a beep when you turn on your pc) and in previous versions of windows you could redirect windows sounds to this speaker using a special driver. The driver I had for this no longer works in windows xp since windows xp really, really hates it when software tries to directly access hardware

What you COULD do is use SOUNDSENTRY.

Soundsentry is part of the Windows Accessibily tools, which will translate a windows beep to an visual cue--ie, the taskbar will flash

You do this by going to start > accessories > accessibility wizard and following the prompts (you choose I AM DEAF AND HAVE A HARD TIME HEARING computer sounds when prompted

Tricky

Tricky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thats an excellent idea! Well done! would never have thought of that!
I have tried accessibility but only get magnifier, narrator, on-screen keyboard and - utility manager.

any good?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you do not see accessibility wizard?

Tricky

Tricky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no sir

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Click Start and point to All Programs. Then point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and click Accessibility Wizard.

Tricky

Tricky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
As I mentioned I follow exactly that track but I only get magnifier, narrator, on-screen keyboard and - utility manager.
Sorry!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I just wanted to make sure since I left a step out of the first....very odd. Should be there

start > run
accwiz
<enter>