Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wsaupdater.exe

• Please log in to reply

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently had a problem with my computer after my antivirus program AntiVir deleted a bunch of files from my computer, and then on reboot, when I would log in, Windows would flash my desktop for half a second and then log me off immediately afterwards.

I followed the suggestions of others, and used the Console Recovery from the install disk to copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe, but I didn't get any results with that. I finally did a repair install from the Windows XP disk and that allowed me to log in.

I didn't see wsaupdater.exe in my system32 folder before, but it is there now. I'm wondering what I should do at this point to avoid the problem that I had before. The description for wsaupdater.exe is "Userinit logon application", so I think if I just delete it, it won't let me log on again.

I opened the registry editor and went to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". The Data for Userinit is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,userin". I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, though...

I just want to resolve any potential problems that Wsaupdater.exe could cause in the future.

Any help would be appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi BD.. have you looked @ this? http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892893

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did see that, Jmoney. Thanks. As far as I know, there may not even be a problem now, but I had the problem yesterday and don't want to shut down my computer until I'm sure. When I couldn't log in yesterday, copying userinit to wsaupdater didn't do anything for me. I had to do a repair installation with the Windows disk. Also, when I was in the recovery console, I couldn't find any trace of wsaupdater. But now that everything seems to be working fine, I found wsaupdater in system32 and am trying to find out how I can tell whether or not it is taking the place of userinit.exe in the registry. Everything I've read seem to say that wsaupdater should be in the data part for userinit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, but I'm getting "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,userin". Does that mean that everything is fine and I can delete wsaupdater without any trouble?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in registry, it should read

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

(please note comma)

then delete wsaupdater