Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge Problem.. HELP

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
It didn't work. Everything is still unassociated. AARGH! I hate windows!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what?.....that doesn't make sense...you did a full windows repair correct? went through the whole process of deleting the files and reinstalling and all that jazz right?

this shouldn't make a difference since you just did a repair install but try this
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
yes, it deleted files and replaced them and asked for the key and everything. I even had to call stupid customer support and revalidate my installation ID. I'll run the scan and report back when it's done.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
It won't even let me a command prompt from windows so I'll see if I can run in safe mode with command prompt

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok so I tried it in Safe Mode and here's what it told me:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sit tight...gonna call in some reinforcements cuz i'm lost

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Holdin on tight

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Should I try the ASR? (Automated System Recovery)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say at this point untill i hear otherwise...try anything that says recovery hehe...i'm warry of telling you to format and reinstall..but that may be the final option..

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I'm wary of the format also. I know it's looming but man.. this machine is going to be one tough one to get back the way it was. I'm going to try a regular repair again and then try the ASR if that fails. keep your fingers crossed. I think the last time I asked you for help I ran repair 3 times and it finally worked. I'm tellin ya, I get all the weird problems.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run
nusrmgr.cpl
enter

does the user control panel open?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
No, it gives me the "file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action, create an association for this option in the control panel" message

it does this with anything I try to open in cmd.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you access the Registry Editor through the run command by typing regedit.exe and pressing "Enter" or the Advanced Editor by typing regedt32.exe and pressing "Enter"?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I can't access either one via the run command. It still gives that stupid association message. I guess I could try it in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. I'll give it a go in a bit and report back. Thanks again for the help :whistling:

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok I think some progress is being made *crossed fingers*

I can get into regedit.exe via Safe Mode with Command Prompt.. where do I go from here?