Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help

• Please log in to reply

scifistars

scifistars

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
im using a ntl modem to run the internet i have it in my front room but want to put it into my dinning room what would be the best way extended usb cable or the cable that plug into the back??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this dialup or broadband (if broadband is it cable or dsl) ? not familiar with the hardware you speak of....if it's dialup you would want to just plug the modem into a phone line in the room you want it to be in...(same with dsl) if it's cable...and you don't have any cable jacks in the destination room....then i would suggest using a longer COAX cable instead of extending the usb

scifistars

scifistars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
its ntl cable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd say extending the coaxial cable (the one that plugs into the modem from the wall) would be your best bet....it's cheaper than getting a longer usb cable...and assuming you're not moving the thing all the way across the house then it shouldn't have any signal loss

scifistars

scifistars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
just to the next room how easy is it to put the ends on the cable ??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well if it's just to the next room...go to your local hardware or audio visual store...and get a piece of coax cable long enough to s pan the distance...and get either a coax splitter or ask them for something to connect two pieces of coax cable...they'll know what it's called (sorry that i don't)

scifistars

scifistars

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
cheers mate thanks for all your help