Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Raine: Browser not loading pages

• Please log in to reply

raine

raine

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello. I have been having difficulty with my browser not loading pages. I posted on here last week suspecting it was a malware problem. With great patience Crustyoldbloke helped me check my computer for any viruses and malware and I was still having problems. I was using IE and even switched over to FoxFire (which I don't care for much at all). :blink: I checked my firewall, uninstalled programs, and made Foxfire my default browser - but still pages open very, very slowly (when they open at all). The main messages I seem to get are "problem loading page", or "server not found". Any recommendation or help would be truly appreciated. :whistling:

Thank you,
Raine

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Could you please describe your network? You have comcast, it looks like....

Cable modem? One or more computers? Router? Switches? Wireless? How long have you had cable? Did you have cable tv first and add cable Internet later? How long have the lines been in place? Has the problem been all this time or something new?

raine

raine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have had Comcast for over three years now. I have an RCA cable modem from Comcast, and also a Netgear router (so my son can play Xbox Live). The Netgear or second router has been in place for over a year and a half and I have never had this problem before. This is a new problem. No new programs have been installed.

My computer is a Gateway and is about four years old.

Thanks,
Raine

:whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you say netgear or second router, do you mean there are two, or this is the second router you've used, or are you saying the cable modem and router are both routers?

Given what we have so far, I am leaning towards either a) a malfunctioning router or b) a weak signal from the ISP

If you remove the router, and connect the PC directly to the cable modem (as a test), does the issue continue?

raine

raine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Dear Gerry,

Sorry, it means I am using two routers at the same time. I will go ahead and remove the second one and see how things go. I will try it until later this afternoon and then let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
Raine

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoa? why are you using two routers?

raine

raine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Dear Gerry,

I was unable to plug in both my computer and my son's Xbox Live connection with the one Comcast box (router), so I purchased the NetGear router as well. I have the main wire from Comcast going into the RCA router from Comast. I then have a wire coming out of that and into the NetGear box. Then both the computer and Xbox Live are hooked into the NetGear box. Have I done something wrong?

Good news! I think you were right - it must be the NetGear router. So I guess that means I need to buy a new one (because my son can't "live" without his Xbox Live :whistling: )! I will test it a little while more, but so far - so good.

Raine

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think the comcast router you are referring to is actually a cable modem...

but, anyway, you could try a firmware on the netgear router. Sometimes, problems are not always evident at first, but crop up later---device makers update these issues with firmware

But, yes, routers go bad

raine

raine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is firmware?

Thanks,
Raine