Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cleanmgr.exe taking a long time to calculate

• Please log in to reply

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
How long does cleanmgr normally take to run? I'm in safe mode trying to do a disk cleanup. The window says, "Disk cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:). This may take a few minutes to complete.", but it's been over an hour and a half and seems to be stuck in the first 10% on "Calculating..." and "Scanning: Compress old files". I've never run disk cleanup before, so I don't know if this is normal...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bad_Disease...

No, this is not normal. Cancel out and try it again. It shouldn't take over 2 minutes to claculate the space...I'd give it 5 just in case there is some circumstance slowing it down.

If it fails to complete the analytical stage, close it out again. Then click Start then Run...type cmd and click "Ok". In the command window, type chkdsk /r (Note the space) and press "Enter"...it will tell you the drive is in use and ask if you want to schedule the check to run on the next restart, type Y and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let us know how this goes.

wannabe1

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, wannabe1....

I did those things. Chkdsk went through it's five stages without any problems. I logged on, at which point AntiVir alerted me to a Trojan. I deleted it through AntiVir, then ran cleanmgr again, but it still isn't working. Also, when I cancel Chkdsk, it continues to run in the background and I have to shut it off through the task manager to try it again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like you may have more infection on the machine. Even the best scanners will not get it all. It would probaably be a good idea to have the malware folks take a look at it. Then if you still have the problem, we can dig a little deeper. Infections have a tendency to cause our repair attempts to backfire or be ineffective.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I'm working on that now. Meanwhile...I found a solution to my cleanmgr problem that worked for me. http://support.micro...om/?kbid=812248

Thanks!