Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus in my taskbar

• Please log in to reply

SpruceM

SpruceM

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys,

was wondering if you guys would be able to help me with the removal of wat i think is a virus (possibly a few virus') from my computer. A few days ago my computer was fine, then one day wen i was surfing the web, a new icon appeared in my taskbar (i think thats the word for it, the part of the screen, bottom right, filled with icons and your computers clock display). This icon flahses ever second from a big red circle with a line through it, to a green disabled person symbol. you cannot right-click on this symbol and when you left click on the symbol a message box slides up above it (which comes up periodically anyway without lcicking on it) which says

"Your computer is infected!

Critical System Error!
System detected virus activities.
They may cause critical system
failure. Please, use antimalware
software to clean and protect your
system from parasite programs.
Click here to get all available
software."

When clicked this message box opens your internet browser and takes you to http://www.spyfalcon.com/?aff=259 - selling a program called Spyfalcon
it has also taken me to sites trying to sell me a program called "Malware Wipe" and "Pest Trap" i have googled these antimalware names and ive heard that Malware Wipe is in-fact malware itself. I had downloaded Malware Wipe (the free trial) but not paid for the full version, then i unisalled and tried deleting it, not sure if that has been successful or not.

Also i now get pop-ups quite frequently and also in the taskbar, another icon appears (usually when a pop-up occurs). The symbol of it is a one of those yellow warning signs with a black exclamation point in the middle of it and it flashes. This symbol then has a message box appear above it saying something like

"System alert: Spyware Detected
Your system has recorded activity by 4 spyware programs
please click here to install antispyware programs."

This takes me to one site offering to let me buy one antispyware program, cant remember its name at present but im unwilling to trust this either.

So you can see how i think i have at least one virus, possibly more on my computer.
I am running Windows XP (im guessing Home Addition) on a computer only 4 or so months old.
I have downloaded Spybot search and Destroy and it is fully updated, i also have Adaware which is also fully updated (both free versions) and i have AVG Professional 7.1 (have a 1 year license at the moment, although i had it before this virus).

AVG picks up no viruses at all, Spybot and Adaware seem to pick up smaller ones (one entry being called SpyFalcon, hence why i think its a virus) but all three progs have seemed to missed the big one (or many) virus' on my computer

can anyone help me try remove this harmful software because its annoying with pop-ups and my computer seems to be quite slow.

Thanks in advance

Spruce

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SpruceM...

Yup...you've been infected. :whistling:

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1