Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diskeeper Lite keeps saying to run CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply

sdrene

sdrene

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hello i've had this problem ever since i had to press the power button when my comp froze. next i tried to defrag my F drive and it said that i requested a chkdsk or a chkdsk was needed before i could defrag. well i did the chkdsk manually and during start up and it said F was dirty but when i cleaned it, nothing happened. i tried to defrag again and it still had the same problem . any help? =D

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
make sure you have run a full disk check. from start run type in "chkdsk f: /f" without the quotes. this will check the file system for errors as well as a physical check of the hdd.

Once the system has completed the scan you can go to control panel, admin tools, and event viewer. look under applications for an entry called winlogon. It should contain the report for what the chkdsk found.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i did that but then it tells me that it can only run if i dismount the drive first so i do Yes and then it says it can't dismount b/c it is a system drive or there is an active paging file on it and asks me to scehdule it. i did this run numerous times from my desktop and before windows started and seems like i can't defrag still..

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well it sounds like something is interfering with diskeeper. I would recomend that you uninstall it. reboot and run a chkdsk and defrag (xp's built in defrag) and go from there.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright. i'll try that.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
woot. it worked. great support, thank you very much starjax.