Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my new pc

• Please log in to reply

Baltasar

Baltasar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,

I just bought and assembled my new computer, but when I try to install Windows, i get the message Windows can't find my harddisk. When i e-mailed with the shop (where i bought the comp), they said i had to copy a SATA2 driver from the cd (deliverd with the motherboard) to a floppy. Now when i try to install this driver, Windows says one of the files is corrupt. When i try to install the 32 bit driver, Windows still can't find my hdd.

My specs are:

Asrock 939SLI32-eSATA2 mobo
AMD 64bit 3700+ processor
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2 hdd
ASUS Extreme N7600GT 256mb videocard

I sure hope someone can help!!!. Spending almost 800 euro's on a computer and still not be able to use it really s*cks!!!!!

Thx in advance!!

Baltasar

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The online manual has some bios stuff that is not on the cd.You might look there.

http://download.asro...LI32-eSATA2.pdf

Heres another forum webpage that might help.

http://www.ocworkben...30;t=006600;p=0

There are new drivers on the asrock webpage for sata2.

http://www.asrock.co...ex_english.html

Once in a while i have had drivers on a cd that would not load but usually if i downloaded the drivers off the net they usually worked.

SRX660

Baltasar

Baltasar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx for the reply!

After speaking (again) with the computershop, they told me to swith the jumper on the hdd. The 64bit driver still didn't work, but after installing the 32bit driver, Windows finally found my hdd (and is installing now!).

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Baltasar and welcome to G2G!

Is the floppy disk damaged? Have you tried a different disk?

Boot up from the CD you got with your motherboard, follow the instructions and create the SATA2 driver disk.
Boot up from the XP CD, within a minute or so the setup program will ask you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, insert the SATA driver disk and press F6.

Make sure the SATA configuration in the BIOS is not set to RAID.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 12 May 2006 - 04:14 AM.

Baltasar

Baltasar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Zeus,

Thx for the help, but just before your post, i managed to install windows. I don't know if it was the jumper or the difference in making the driver disk (via the motherboard cd) that did the trick, but it worked!!!
But i'm sure glad everything is working now!!!

Edited by Baltasar, 12 May 2006 - 01:55 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad you got it sorted, enjoy your new computer!

Baltasar

Baltasar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I sure will do :blink: I love him already!!! (or is a computer a "her"?? :whistling:)

Maybe see ya around on the forum!