Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Event log stats ?

• Please log in to reply

Southend

Southend

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I wonder if someone could advise as to how many 'Event Logs' one should get on a normally healthy running PC? I built my own just over a year ago and have had a few reaccuring problems one of which apparently is common with home built PC's. My main problem started last September when for no apparent reason other than I was using one of many applications, "click" I got the 'blue screen of death' and a reboot. After trawling through the Abit forums I read that someone else had this problem and it was to do with timings. So I followed the instructions which worked for this person and set some manual timings and all seemed to settle down. I beleive the initial problem was started after an XP Patch was installed. Interestingly, I now occassionally get a blue screen crash since another XP patch that was issued two weeks ago. Infact reading into the reason for the patch it states 'timing issues', so I wonder whether they maybe catching up with some issues with certain newer Motherboards, but I'm guessing here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900485
However, I digress, the Event Logs I found at the time were always misleading, a crash Event Log would suggest I needed to change my IDE Cables, which I did. I also changed my hard disc and Graphics Card, and although these were a better upgrade, probably were not necessary for fixing the initial problem.
Now, looking at the Event Logs, I seem to get loads each day of the type.... and I appolgies for making this post a bit long winded with a selection of logs.

1. Almost every 5 minues this one (Applications)
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (52)
Event ID: 4354
Date: 12/05/2006
Time: 17:01:46
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-XP
Description:
The COM+ Event System failed to fire the ConnectionLost method on subscription {A8EDB33C-55FF-4D5D-965A-27769CC279AD}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The subscriber returned HRESULT 80010105.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

2. (System)
Event Type: Information
Event Source: nvatabus
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 11/05/2006
Time: 20:46:46
Description:
Device identified.
Data:
0000: 1b 00 0c 00 01 00 66 00 ......f.
0008: 00 00 00 00 02 00 de 40 ......̃@
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 01 01 01 00 53 00 de 10 ....S.̃.
0030: 00 00 00 00 ....

Event Source: EventLog
Event ID: 6005
Time: 06:47:58
Description:
The Event log service was started.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Source: Save Dump
Event ID: 1001
Time: 06:47:59
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf6bf85f2, 0xf208eb4c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini051106-02.dmp.

However, how many of these logs should I normally expect, or have I got something fundimentally set up wrong on my PC ? I may try to set back to 'auto' the timings to see whether my hunch that the XP Patches have finally resolved the problem, but I'm not convinced. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. :whistling:

Many thanks

Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I agree with the compatibility issue and would start with a BIOS update, followed by chipset drivers with erros 2 and 4

Error 3 is nothing to be concerned about. Error 1 can be impossible to trackdown but is mostly harmless. Have you visited windows update? Do you have all the patches for the Windows Messenger (NOT MSN MESSENGER)

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks gerryf,

Interesting looking at what's listed on the BIOS update...

<snip>
AN8 BIOS 20
Version: 20 File Size: 304 KB Download Time (56K): 44.5 sec Released Date: 2006-02-13
1. Support FX-60 2. Enhanced compatibility with certain USB devices 3. Enhanced compatibility with certain memories. 4. BIOS compiled date: 1/19/2006
<snip>

I'll do an update.

The driver chipset, not sure what that one is or where I download it / install it, can you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Keith (Southend)

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
:whistling: I'm on my old PC here as I did an update to the BIOS, it then asked me to reboot and it's stuck with a black screen monitor (nothing), red light on the box and BIOS has a number in red LED of 0.4. It won't even power off from the front buttons only, how do I get going again ?

Keith (Southend)

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok, I had to 'jumper' the CMOS and reset the booting order in the BIOS to get things going again. Although it blue screened crashed almost immediately it got to the desktop. So I went into those Chipdet settings (timing) and made those manual changes as before. It's holding it's own atm ;-)

I think I will continue this subject on the Abit forums as I#m sure I can't be the only one with this problem. The BIOS has been updated to '20' (the latest), so that didn't cure the problem.

I need a drink after that :whistling:

Keith (Southend)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm glad you worked your way through that and I am sorry I wasn't here to do a little hand holding (nothing scarier than a bios flash that appears to have gone awry

In bios, did you choose the OPTIMAL settings?

Also, did it actually detect your RAM properly....sometimes, RAM is misidentified

Have you tested your RAM using a ramtester like memtest?

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi gerryf,

I have previously run memtest86 for the numerous tests and found no errors.

I'm not sure about the BIOS for optimum bit, not an option I remember seeing. However, after clearing the CMOS etc all the timings were Auto. And the blue crash occured as soon as the desktop was at it's last startup programme.

I have also just added a post on the Abit 939 forums, will be interesting to see what they have to say. Oh yes, my BIOS is now to the latest version. As you say a scarey experience when it all goes wrong :whistling:

It's been long enough now, it's about time I got to the bottom of this one.

Keith (Southend)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the blue screen yields what error code? The same one all the time? Or does it vary

According to the event log, it appears to be a hardware incompatibility...

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I couldn't access one of my hard discs 'corrupted or unreadable', fortunately it was the original one with the old OS on before I got the SATA. A Format Disc got it back, fortunately , nothing lost. Must have had something to do with all the fun and games I had yesterday. :whistling: