Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Understanding LAN, VPN, login for Windows, network, etc

• Please log in to reply

joeme

joeme

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I recently bought a laptop computer with Windows XP Profecssional. I also have a desktop computer with Windows XP Home edition. I have installed a wireless router and have it up and running. I set it up so that only my laptop can access the network through the wireless connection.

My ultimate goal is to be able to access files and run programs on my desktop computer remotely using my laptop.

But I have a million questions going through my mind. Where do I go to get some basic understanding of networking?

Typical questions:
What does a Windows login for?
What is a Network login for?
Do I need them?
What is a VPN and do I need that?
How does the router fit into all of this?

Thanks,
Joe.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those are pretty broad topics....

Here's some stuff to get you started

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102163

You should know that you can access files, on your other computer, but you cannot actually run programs from another computer on your computer

You can set up a remote connection and run programs on the other computer, however, but the programs will be running on THAT computer, not yours....think of it as a window into another PC

joeme

joeme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks. I read the document. It was helpful in solving another problem for sharing documents on a remoter computer. The statement "The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other users’ profiles." helped me understand that problem.

However, I was looking for something more about a general discussion on networking with Windows. Something like Networking for Dummies. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe.