Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DR Watson

• Please log in to reply

RichardKitchen

RichardKitchen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What is the best way to get rid of the Dr watson error reporting for a person that is not computer savoy

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi RichardKitchen! Welcome to G2G!

It is not advisable to disable Dr. Watson for any reason. It is needed for the stable running of your operating system. What error is Dr. Watson reporting, and what are you doing when you receive the error?

Fenor

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I have to disagree. AFAIK, Dr Watson does nothing to stabilize XP. In fact, it produces a 20 to 30 second lock up of my computer. I have a version of Pro that if a shortcut to a no longer existing file is clicked, Dr watson is started and nothing else is operable. Then Explorer crashes and is restored a few seconds later. At least now with DW disabled, Explorer still crashes but my system locks up for only 3 seconds, not 30.

MS publishes a method to disable Dr Watson. Nowhere is it said that Dr Watson is necessary for the proper operation of XP.

For those who don't like editing the Registry, here is a simple Registry file that will carry out the operation. Create a new text file and copy into it the following 3 lines:
=============================================
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
=============================================
Name the file, say, drwatsondisable.reg
Double-click this file and make the change to the Registry.

Dr Watson may be re-enabled by :
Start > Run > drwtsn32 -i <Enter>

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have a question.............. just what exactly is Dr. Watson there for in Windows? Sorry, still learning I suppose!

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This is the best explaination I found:

http://www.cybertech...php/t-3160.html

In reality I have never found it to be useful. Your mileage may vary.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Dr. Watson is not why your computer is crashing, WinCrazy, it is merely trying to report a problem to you. If I were you, I would fix the problem, not kill the messenger. I agree with Fenor, disabling or editing the registry as suggested above is not recommended, and should certainly not be done by anyone who is not completely prepared for a failure to boot.

RichardKitchen- Please answer Fenor's question:
What error is Dr. Watson reporting, and what are you doing when you receive the error?

Johanna