Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5 minutes+ to boot up

• Please log in to reply

zoombi

zoombi

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, i'm not very computer savvy on the technical side so I apologise if anything I say is ignorant.

I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum but let's hope so.

Here's my story:

System: cpu = AMD Athalon 1800+
256 ram
60gig hard drive
XP Pro

About a week ago when starting my computer it seemed to just freeze at the screen where it says what the cpu is, memory etc.

It took so long I manually shut down thinking I had a virus or similar.

Tried booting again and had the same problem, while sitting there scratching my head and wondering whether I should use the hammer or the axe it started to keep booting, once booted almost everything seemed fine. I can surf the net, navigate folders with no apparent slow down. The whole boot-up process took more than 5 minutes and the same has happened on every reboot since.

The only other issue seems to be with printing, when trying to print a document it seems to take forever 5+ minutes to print, it prints one line then waits 5 to 10 seconds for the next line.

I have ran:

Nortons
Ewido
AdAware
Spybot
SpywareBlaster
CWShredder
CleanUp

Everything was fine with all these.

I then ran HiJackThis and posted the log in the Malware forum and have been told that everything there is fine as well.

I then deleted cookies, history etc, emptied prefetch folder, checked disk for errors and then defragged.

Still boot-up is a 5+ minute painful experience.

Friends that are equally computer challenged as I think it may be a RAM or CPU problem, however I trust the experts here more than their "guesses"

Any advice/ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by zoombi, 13 May 2006 - 02:25 AM.

Advertisements