Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Slave Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am running XP Pro SP2 and am currently using a Western Digital 120GB drive as my primary master. I purchased a Maxtor 250 GB drive to use as my primary slave. I had the jumper on the master set to "master" and set the jumper on the slave to "slave". My BIOS reads both drives in the correct order but Windows doesn't see the second one at all. I tried setting both drives to "cable select" but got the EXACT same results. My BIOS has no trouble at all seeing this drive but as I said, Windows doesn't know it exists. I go into My Computer -- Manage -- Storage -- Disk Management but nothing new is there. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Roadblock, 13 May 2006 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I am running XP Pro SP2 and am currently using a Western Digital 120GB drive as my primary master. I purchased a Maxtor 250 GB drive to use as my primary slave. I had the jumper on the master set to "master" and set the jumper on the slave to "slave". My BIOS reads both drives in the correct order but Windows doesn't see the second one at all. I tried setting both drives to "cable select" but got the EXACT same results. My BIOS has no trouble at all seeing this drive but as I said, Windows doesn't know it exists. I go into My Computer -- Manage -- Storage -- Disk Management but nothing new is there. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Is the 250 gig drive formated .

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, it's fresh outta the box. How can I format it if Windows won't pick it up?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Roadblock...

You might try installing the drive using the Install New Hardware feature in Control Panel. If it won't detect automatically, you can install it from a list of devices.

wannabe1

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried it, doesn't find it. Not in the list.

Edited by Roadblock, 13 May 2006 - 05:38 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you get a MaxBlast 4 cd with your new drive? You might see if that will find the drive. If still no joy, I'd start checking the cableing.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You will have to partition and format your hard drive. you cant do that via windows. you will need to boot the PC with boot disk. read more here:http://support.micro....com/kb/255867/ . If you have MaxBlast 4 cd boot with it and you can partition and format your hard drive with the program on the cd.

Edited by memberix, 13 May 2006 - 05:45 PM.

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I used the Max Blast 4 but believe it or not it doesn't recognize it either. It is a Winows issue because I had a similar problem with an old computer I had before. If Windows won't pick it up then Windows based programs, like Max Blast, won't get it either. You think maybe I should toss in the Windows install CD and see if I can partition it and format it there?

Edited by Roadblock, 13 May 2006 - 05:45 PM.

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You will have to partition and format your hard drive. you cant do that via windows. you will need to boot the PC with boot disk. read more here:http://support.micro....com/kb/255867/ . If you have MaxBlast 4 cd boot with it and you can partition and format your hard drive with the program on the cd.

This support info isn't applicable to XP. But thanks anyway.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've run into this before...

Set the jumper to Master on the new drive and cable it as Primary Master. Leave the current Master drive disconnected and run the MaxBlast disk on it, formatting as a storage drive. Then rejumper and cable to the configuration you're after and let windows detect it as new hardware.

Advertisements

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I've run into this before...

Set the jumper to Master on the new drive and cable it as Primary Master. Leave the current Master drive disconnected and run the MaxBlast disk on it, formatting as a storage drive. Then rejumper and cable to the configuration you're after and let windows detect it as new hardware.

This may be a foolish question but how in the heck can I run Max Blast with my current master disconnected?? Windows will not be running, hence I will have no operating system, hence no Max Blast.. Is the Max Blast bootable?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...MaxBlast is bootable... :whistling:

Start the machine with the cd in the drive and follow the prompts.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

This support info isn't applicable to XP. But thanks anyway.

It is applicable to XP no mather it's not listed on the end. Anyway you can partition and format th drive with you XP setup CD.

Roadblock

Roadblock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes...MaxBlast is bootable... :whistling:

Start the machine with the cd in the drive and follow the prompts.

Did it, partitioned the drive, formatted it, reset the jumpers/cables to original, started Windows and same thing. New drive is nowhere to be seen.

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
sounds like a bios update needed maybe, or create 2 partition 125 meg each
some older bios only reconize drives below 137 meg or so.
http://www.storagere.../bios/size.html

Edited by My2Cents, 13 May 2006 - 06:33 PM.