Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000$ Paradise

• Please log in to reply

Whistlewind

Whistlewind

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello im looking into buying a new computer and spending around 2000$ This computer will be mainly used to play vanguard SOH. I honestly have never put together a computer from scratch so i need some help on what parts to choose from for the best value and performance. This includes everything from the motherboard to the case (exclude only the keyboard mouse and speakers). Any imput would be helpful thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

Whistlewind

Whistlewind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Does anybody have any suggestions?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Usually the way we work is we the user posts a set of rough specs and we work from there and help guide them to the correct setup for them, we are all volunteers and we dont have the time to go around and shop for parts for people.

We can tell you exactly what to buy but it defeats the purpose by researching parts on review sites and shopping sites you learn the hardware capabilities and what you feel is best for you, you also learn how to build the pc and will be more confident when you do so when you know the pitfalls from your research.

I would unless you are desperate wait till June or July to build the system at the earliest as summer releases are generally popular this year there are new cpu ranges from intel and AMD as well as DX10 gfx cards all the new hardware will be significantly better than anything out now and will drive prices down.

terabyte

terabyte

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, sharkyextreme has an excellent PC guide where they try to build the most powerful computer for a set alloted amount.
This was their March Buying Guide for the 2500$ version of the computer.
http://www.sharkyext...0707_3595906__8

AMD Athlon 64 X2 System

Case: Cooler Master WaveMaster TAC-T01-E1C w/Antec 550W PSU - $230
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Retail - $458
Cooling: Thermalright XP-90C w/92mm Fan - $60
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert - $185
Memory: 2x1GB OCZ EL PC3200 Titanium - $225
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB SATA - $130
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB CO Superclocked - $360
Monitor: Samsung 940b 19" LCD - $325
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $115
Speakers: Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 Speakers - $135
DVD-/+RW: Pioneer 16x DVD+RW/-RW DVR-110D OEM - $43
Communications: None or (optional Intel Pro/1000 T or USR External v.92) - $0
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse - $48
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - $44
Operating System: Windows XP Pro - $136
Floppy: Generic - $5

Total: $2,499

They also have an Intel processor version....but who wants that? :whistling:

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
go to google and type "video card review", "sound card" etc for all components so u kno for urself whats good and wats not good.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Based on Tera's suggestion there, I have some changes (considering you'll be playing a game mainly so some of that is overkill.)

-Smaller hard drive: I have an 80gig which suits my 3 games fine, maybe a 120GB or something, but I find 300GB extreme overkill
-Less memory: This can always be upgraded if you are having problems, I use 1 gig and it works great
-Smaller speakers: Unless you're an audio junky, a decent 2.1 system will suffice
-Keyboard: Although ergonomics are "great" (I hate em), a basic Logitech keyboard will let you play games (but one thing to keep in mind is if you'll need to press more than 4 buttons at the same time, you'll have to upgrade to a more expensive keyboard)
-Case: $230 sounds like a lot for a case to me. Warriors SuperLanboy and my Aspire X-Navigator are both cheaper than that but get the job done, so I'd say downgrade the case (just make sure it has more than 1 fan in it :whistling:)

There you go. Keep everything else and it's closer to $2,000.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hard drives when you go smaller than 160Gb you get seriously ripped on a per Gb basis, per Gb a 200 or 300 at the most is cheaper than an 80 or 120 and the price difference is small enough its stupid ot buy 80s unless you are down to the very last penny.

Ive got a 200 and i find it to small for years i used an 80 no problem but ive filled this 200 three times now and ive got a tonne of dvds now(which i dont mind its cheaper than a new hdd.

Take out the sound card, get some cheaper corsair ram instead use the more than adequate stock hsf, a more reasonable case cheaper speakers a normal persons keyboard and mouse and a MSI or Abit mobo and the price comes down to less than $2000.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I agree with Warrior on all but the soundcard. I recently upgraded to the XtremeMusic and my games sound way better, so I say stick with that. I do agree with changing to CorasairValue RAM, a much more reasonable case, normal persons keyboard, and the mobo.

Personally, I would just downgrade the mouse to maybe a MX518 just because of the better response than from a "normal persons" mouse.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not even value the xms stuff at least here is ridiculously cheap if you shop around for it. Sound cards i would never see the advantage as when it comes to games i have the philosophy that if i cant feel it its better on mute and i never really like sound it makes me antsy in games as i pick up on sound quite easily.

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
for alot of prices and such. just watch out for the shipping and handleing, some try and rip ya.

http://www.pricewatch.com/