Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FFXI installation problem

• Please log in to reply

Mikamaru

Mikamaru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed FFXI on my laptop a week ago and decided to install it in my desktop also sence it is a better system. it installed fine in my laptop but when it try to install the first disk of the game it will not install but the "Play Online" disk will install with out any problems. when I put the CD in the drive it doesnt do anything. and it seems like the CD drive freezes when i try to open it but eventually it does.

When i go to install it it says(Startup.exe file):

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package. (only option is to choose OK)

and the actuall ffxi.exe file (looks like a computer):

"This installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."

i've tryed to contact PoL and SE (makers of the game) and they said that they couldnt help with the issue. i also searched on windows.com for help and couldnt find anything.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Mikamaru and welcome to G2G!

Make sure the disk is clean and free of scratches.
Do you have another drive on your desktop that you can try?

Mikamaru

Mikamaru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i do not have another drive. i asked all my friends if they had one and they dont. but the disk looks brandnew no scratches at all on it.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Just in case this is a Windows Installer problem, try reinstalling it.

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en (download requires XP SP2)

If that doesn't work try changing the transfer mode of your CD drive to PIO only mode, you can do this through device manager.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Regarding the Windows Installer, you might also try the Windows Installer CleanUp utility.

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Is it a DVD drive? the newer FFXI CD packages are DVD rom only.

also u may want to take a look at this

http://support.micro...com/kb/q236597/
but i think the g2g guys posted what it asks u to do already.

Edited by Syztem, 16 May 2006 - 05:49 PM.