Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel Folder Options with items not extensions?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
First toshiba satellite 2410, intel pent 4, SP2 XP, mobile processor, 512 RAM, 1.9 ghz.

In my folder options I have over 100 File Types with proper extensions but all of the following with NONE??
I am not a Tech and don't understand this. My neighbour is and as we were passing in the hall he suggested to do a post.

I am a professional, we have an in house tech and a Security Tech from outiside the office to insure that we are all on top of updates etc.
Also have a SMC Router and an Alpha Shield and Firewall for my notebook and Shileds Up shows all ports in Stealth.

These are the Folder Options, File Types with NONE noted by" extensions???" How do I fix and how could this happen?

Folder Options:

file types
audio cd
audio cd
audio cd
drive
file folder
folder
help and support center protocol
Internet short cut
Intervideo win dvd 4
speed dial
URL Call to protocol
URL Gopher Protocol with privacy
URL Hpertext transfer ProtocolURL LDAP Protocol
URL Mail to Protocol
News Protocol
URL NNTP protocol
URL R Login protocol
S news protocol
S news Telnet
URL IN3270 protocol

I apologize if there are any errors in my names of some of these items as I wrote them down quickly in my scraggly writing!!!

I hope that someone can advise on what to do. I am not a techie and definitely need to resolve this problem. As i mentioned earlier there are over 100 Folder Options in the Control Panel that have extensions, why these don't is beyond me.

I look forward to a response and I hope a user friendly for me method of fixing the problems.
Cheers and best regards.

Edited by newbie geek, 14 May 2006 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those are correct

Extensions are used to associate files with given programs

The items listed are not files that need specific programs to open them or they are items that have integrated defaults (ie, internet shortcut default opens in internet explorer)

Your machine is fine. Do not worry about it

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx for the reply and the info. I am fairly a Noob at all of this and thought b/c I had a PDF problem opening received email attachments and also checking PDF email attachments that I was sending I decided that i had better post to see if I had more problems!! :whistling: But now that these matters are fixed I now feel confident by your advice that things are OK. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
It makes me breathe a sigh of relief indeed!!!
Best Regards!!!

Edited by newbie geek, 16 May 2006 - 01:05 AM.