Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 5150

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ethernet, NIC, network - whatever you call it I'm told I need to replace it. It is NOT some card inside the tower right where you plug in. It is somewhere on the board - but I have no clue.
(1) Can the "card" be replaced?
(2) Where is the card?
(3) What information do I need to know to replace the card.
(4) Can I find replacement locally (WalMart or Office Depot . . .) or will I have to find the "vintage" part online?

I greatly appreciate the info.

I can't stay online but will review often this afternoon. I'm using someone's laptop. The PC is down, left open so I can (hopefully) look, find, remove and replace the card.

Much thanks,
Lloyd

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the NIC is onboard, just stick a separate network card in it. Then you can either turn the onboard on off in the BIOS, or just leave it.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I appreciate the words but - I am not computer savvy. I think I see I could add the network card above the modem card but I'm not sure how to connect it to Compaq's master board.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to a local computer shop and tell them you want a "PCI Network or Ethernet Card".

Or alternatively, take your computer to said shop and ask for the above, explain the situation, they'll sort you out.

This answer might sound flippant and dismissive, for which I apologise, but the only other way is to confuse you even more, which isn't something I want to do :whistling:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I guess I responded a bit quickly. I'm not computer savvy but I sure don't mind learning! I've replace a HD and other software problems with fantastic help here on Geekstogo! I do see a place above the old phone modem where I could add an ethernet card. I do see the connection slots on the master board where I could plug in the new card.
My concern is that I get the correct one that will connect to my master board plugs. The concern is that I have such an old computer that I might not find the right one.

I was hoping to find someone else with Compaq 5150 that had done the same thing. I'm wondering how to "turn off" the old NIC and get computer to recognize and use the new one.

The burning question is how to find if anything else was zapped by power surge!

I greatly appreciate the time.
Lloyd

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK - I have installed the network card. Downloaded new driver, Rebooted everything. Plugged in Ethernet to connect to DSL Lite service I have - that has been the normal way for over a year. Ethernet light is on at DSL modem AND at new network card. I can't get online though. I replaced Ethernet cable. Lights came on again but not able to get online.
Earlier someone had mentioned turning old network card (integrated into mother board) off in BIOS - I SURE would appreciate step by step instructions on that!

MUCH thanks,
bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I still haven't found any place to turn off integrated ethernet. It was zapped by power surge. Installed new card. Lights will come on at card and DSL modem but can't get computer to talk to modem.
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network - I see listings for Adapters then TCP/IP for those adapters. EXCEPT no TCP/IP listing for Ethernet Adapter for new card - shouldn't there be one? Any suggestions?
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until it enters set up, you will find it there. You may have a number of screens to look through

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I've gotten to that Setup several times. My tabs are System, Communications, Storage, Input Devices, Multimedia, Exit.
Of the things I'm not sure about - Under System - PCI Bus Master enabled, System POST fast.
Communications - Parallel port mode: Bidirectional, Onboard LAN; enabled.
Input Devices - USB legacy keyboard support enabled.
Multimedia - PCI VGA Snoop enabled.

What was it I should have been looking for? This is a Compaq computer and they often do things "their" way!
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Onboard Local Area Network (LAN)

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
As for ethernet - Somewhere I got to the listings showing adapters and TCP/IP - should I have a TCP/IP listing of same name as adapter? I do not have TCP/IP listings with same name as adapter for ethernet just added.

I ran Add Hardware, it said problem, maybe conflict with another device. I believe from there I checked adapter properties it indicates no network address present.

I have X over old adapter (network card was integrated into motherboard). Not over new adapter. With Start>Run>command>ipconfig - it showed two ethernet "address" with only 0's. Earlier there were three addresses and bottom one started with 169, tech help said that was bad sign. We did several things but did turn off old ethernet adapter. Still can't connect.

As for USB - While I was looking around >My computer>System properties>Device manager>- should I have anything showing under Universal serial bus controller for a new USB setting so I can connect thru DSL modem?
When looking on DSL modem installation CD for USB drivers I found a folder with drivers, there appear to be six. 2 remote NDIS miniport, 1 NDIS miniport for Win98/SE. 2 remote NDIS USB Driver, 1 remote NDIS USB Driver for Win98/SE.

Any help or is the uneducated trying too hard?

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 24 May 2006 - 08:24 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start Internet Explorer, type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar then press enter, does it show anything?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry for the delay. ISP outage for 4 hours, I went to bed.

Yes, I did go back as Post 10 suggested, I disabled Onboard Local Area Network.

Tried the numbers. Nothing shows. I just get small flag - Internet Explorer could not open the search page.

Did Post 11 revealing anything useful?

Edited by bamakodaker, 24 May 2006 - 09:04 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi bamakodaker,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type winipcfg and press OK --> In the new window, please use the drop-down box to select your network adapter -- how many network adapters are listed inside this drop-down box? Please list them. Once you have selected your adapter, press the More Info >> button. In this new window, please post all of the information contained in the following fields: DNS Servers, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP Server and the Auto-Configuration IP Address if available.

Once done, please click the Release All button. Wait for your connection to release, and then press the Renew All button. Wait for your connection to re-establish.. Once done, if there is any information that is now different from that which you posted, please post the new information as well.

Along with this, please select any other network adapter listed in the drop-down box, and post the information contained in these fields. Once done, please re-select your main network adapter / the adapter that you're currently using, and continue..

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now, please type the following:
ping localhost <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping 127.0.0.1 <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping google.com <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping 72.14.207.99 <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.

You should recieve a response similar to the one shown below:
C:\Documents and Settings\Billy>ping localhost

Pinging DANIEL [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
If your response is not similar to this, ie: it says Request timed out, then please just let me know the error.

Thanks,
Dan.

Edited by Dan G, 26 May 2006 - 10:17 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ahhhhhh the fun of it all!

I've had assistance from Geekstogo and from BellSouth, my ISP. I only change or remove things from these suggestions. I know far better than to try on my own! I say that because I'm not sure if something has been removed that is now needed.

Throught the Run>Start - I'm now at the IP Configuration window, Ethernet Adapter Information. At the pulldown I have PPP Adapter. I pull down and have 2 PPP and 1 AOL adapters.

I right clicked My Computer to get to Device Manager. At Network adapters I have - AOL, Dial-Up and VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter. I'm rather positive the last one (Rhine) is the one pulled from the disk by Installation Wizard as the system detected new hardware installed.
That said I don't believe I've given this info - if it makes any difference. I bought this network card from local computer biz. Major chain stores don't carry NIC's for an old Win98 system. I told the local folk I had old computer. They sold me Intellinet brand, PCI 10/100 Network Card with VIA chipset.

SOOOOOO - under first PPP adapter
host - COMPUTER
dns -
Node type - Broadcast
NetBIOS scope -
IP Routing
NewBIOS Resolution
WINS Proxy
Adapter address - 44-45-53-54-00-00
IP address - 0.0.0.0
subnet - 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway
DHCP Server - 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS
Secondary WINS
Lease obtained
lease expires

As I selected Release All I get a flag that IP Address for adapter is already released. Please note - my home desktop computer has no internet connection. I'm using my work laptop. I can not connect through USB nor Ethernet connections.
At Renew All - nothing happens except I get a small flag noting - An application named Win32 Kernel core component (file name KERNEL32.DLL) has been blocked from accessing the network)

I removed Ethernet from laptop and plugged into new network card and hit renew. No numbers change nor do any blanks get filled in.

On to 2nd PPP adapter. All through the process everything stays as noted above.

On to AOL adapter -
Adapter address - 44-45-53-54-61-6F
IP Autoconfig - 169.254.209.7
Subnet - 255.255.0.0
DHCP Server - 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS
Secondary WINS
Lease obtained - 05 26 06 9:31:58 AM
Lease expire

At Release All - I can see no change, nothing to note it has released.
Renew All - I see no changes.

In Win98 I typed Command rather than CMD.
ping localhost - pinting 127.7.7.1
4 packets sent, 4 received

ping 127.0.0.1
same as above

ping google.com
unknown host google.com

ping 72.14.207.99
4 sent, 4 lost

While connected from desktop PC via new network card by ethernet to modem (which I'm using with laptop so it does work) I am getting green lights at card and modem.

Next suggestions?

I'm going in to work shortly and will respond much later but I am MOST grateful for any assistance!