Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS problem?

• Please log in to reply

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
K here is the problem...
I was at the library of my university trying to connect wirelessly to internet.
So I connected no problem, and tried to open "Internet Explorer". It started to go to the university's homepage and error pops up...then i tried other sites...they all wouldn't work...

Now that it is summer, I came home and tried to connect wireless at my house.
But again, the same problem...I wondered y cause I was connected to the internet.

And then somehow, I put an IP address (ie. 67.899.393.32) and then the site started to work.
After all those trouble, I was able to browse through internet by their IP address.

I figured that I had some DNS resolving issue. But How do you fix it?
I really need this fixed as soon as possible so I can work at university...
Please help!

Thank you for reading

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Have you checked that the DNS server adresses are being obtained automatically? From the Control Panel choose Network Connections. Now, right click your wireless connection and choose Properties. From the new window opened, choose Interner Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Now make sure that "Obtain DNS server automatically" is selected.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after checking those settings try start > run > cmd > ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns then ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew and see if that helps

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello again,
Thank you for replying

I have checked and it was obtained automatically
and
I have done everything in the cmd and still nothing but again, using ip the internet works...

to check any errors the ipconfig /registerdns told me to view something but where do i check that?

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

to check any errors the ipconfig /registerdns told me to view something but where do i check that?

Can you be more specific about that 'something' ?

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
event viewer i think it was....
It's kinda weird how i can only connect to sites through ip addresses only

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

that message is pretty useless for most userss...it's just telling you that as it adds dns records that there will be a message in event viewer...though if there were a dns error it would be there too

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
k got few....

"the ic recorder driver service failed to start due to the following error: the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enbaled devices associated with it"

"faulting application iexplore.exe version 6.0.2900.2180. faulting module ntdll.dll. version 5.1.2600.2180. fault address 0x000122ba."

"the description for event id(0) in source() cannot be found. the local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. you may be able to use the /auxsource=flag to retrive this description. see help and support for details. the following information is part of the even:1."

"hanging application iexplorer.exe. version 6.0.2900.2180. hang module hungapp. version 0.0.0.0. hang address 0x0000000."

"faulting application autoupdateent.exe. version 1.0.0.8. faulting module autoupdateent.exe. version 1.0.0.8. fault address 0x00027b6c."

"fault bucket 277445535"

:whistling: geez that was a lot

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
none of those would corrospond to your issue.. was that under system or applicatoin?

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes it was...
Hmm..none of them have to do with dns?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not a one of them...the only one that's remotely related to your issue is that internet explorer application hang...

you gave me a yes answer to a multiple choice question by the way...was that info from the system tab...or the applications tab in event viewer?

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
first one was a system and all others in application