Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probs with configuring unattended setup.

• Please log in to reply

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hey Geeks2Go!

..thanks for looking @ my problem and I will like to thank you in advanced!! ..

So here is it:

I am setting up an "unattended set up." without a CD. Basically I want to boot from floppy
to install i386 which I have on my hdd. (it's all legal!) My problem is when you boot from floppy it see's
it as msdos and doesn't reconize the raid controler. How can I make this work?
Here is my winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No

[UserData]
ComputerName=HOMENT
FullName="Joseph Chambers"
ProductKey=*****-*****-*****-*****-*****
OrgName="Collutions, Inc."

[GuiUnattended]
ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=4
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[LicenseFilePrintData]
AutoMode=PerServer
AutoUsers=9999

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=MYHOMEIP

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1280
YResolution=1024

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=408

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
Home_Page=http://www.google.com
Search_Page=http://www.google.com

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=0

I am using Deploy.cab so I have the regular setup their.

Just so you have everything here is the specs:
System (C:) 20GB
Docs (D:) 91GB
PageFile (P:) 5GB
Store (S:) 106 GB -----I have it mirrored---
Store (S:) 106 GB -----I have it mirrored---
Temp (T:) 5GB

Now what I done was dual booted Windows Server 2003 Standard on C & D but it's not what I want to do. What's going on right now is the .bat file is edited and install's it to C:\\ but I don't want to have to look @ that everytime I restart my server and later on it's going to be a pain when I want to add scripts.
But just for fun I will show you the script:

@rem SetupMgrTag
@echo off

set AnswerFile=.\winnt.sif
set SetupFiles=s:\i386

s:\i386\winnt32 /syspart:c /tempdrive:c /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:AnswerFile% /copysource:lang

..so that's where I am at the moment. I'm stomped. But I will take a brake on this and learn to slipstrim sp1 to s:\i386. Fun ey?

Thanks and I hope someone can help!!

///edit!

Ok, was just talking to someone in the chat and he was asking "why don't you just set up it up by yourself."
My reply is when/if my network goes down one night.. I don't want to be up for 3 days configuring everything when I can save myself time now. I just add the scripts to run on the winnt.sif file. So If I need it to config IIS or install SharePoint or MS Office.. this does it all on it's own!

..just to let you know.

Edited by sweft, 15 May 2006 - 04:42 AM.

Advertisements

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
bump

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Can you tell me what type of raid controller you are using? i.e IDE, SATA or SCSI drives?

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It's an IDE Raid controller. *Guest is happy that someone is trying to help.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I am still having trouble with this.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
*sniff*

I'm never going to get this done..

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I think you may be goind down a blind alley. The unattended setup was probably never intended to have additional drivers such as RAID, SCSI or SATA added in.

Perhaps you can use Norton Ghost to make an image of the partition that already installed. I haven't used this utility and don't know how it handles the boot block or the MBR of the drive and partition.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://unattended.ms.../unattended.xp/ Read that site it should help, it would be easier i think if you had your CD if you have a valid liscense you are entilied to a disk and MS doesnt care how you get them so you can get a copy or download it legally.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thank you both for replying! I was getting a bit.. well you know..

So! My deal is.. I am going to have alot of configurations! All my DVD's are legal and have an unique product key. But what if my network crashes.. How long will it take to install and config everything.. I figured I will find a easier way to do so.. so I did, I found the unattended setup!

Later I don't want to install Extange, Visual Studio, SQL Server, than all the updates for each! It will take way to long. Don't you agree? So thanks for that link warriorscot.. I haven't read that one.. Anyways- thanks... and I'll see what I can do..

Ah- would you just suggest to take out the RAID contoller itself?

SwiftNomad

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you read that guide it gives good instructions in how to add the drivers in, but on the other hand loading drivers at the start of the install take no time at all and it saves hassle so i would be tempted to not bother with those if you are strugling.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you read that guide it gives good instructions in how to add the drivers in, but on the other hand loading drivers at the start of the install take no time at all and it saves hassle so i would be tempted to not bother with those if you are strugling.