Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intranet - wiki

• Please log in to reply

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I am trying to use the space that I have on the internet for an intranet, the background is:
we are three friends trying to start a new business, each of us is working in different locations (home basically) and we want to be able to have the documentation and files that we are creating somewhere that we can all get to the most updated versions and that we have access to those files and documents (eg upload, download documents as well as having tools like a calendar)

None of us is technically savvy, so whatever the solution has to be something that we can implement and use.
Our technical level is: we know how to use wikipedia and a tree file structure.

Could you recommend any free sofware or web application or something that could do what we need to do?

Thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would be rather simple just to use the webspace to create your own website. By using a website you can leave messages as text files that the others can download and read with notepad. Quite a lot of web hosts will let you use a FTP program to upload documents, etc to your website. You can also download anything from your website with the FTP program. You can also hide documents at your website so that no one that is just visiting your webpage can access the doc's. Any thing that is not linked-to by the webpage will be hidden. You could use the free program 1st page 2000 to make the webpage.

http://www.evrsoft.com/

You can even password certain folders that would contain your doc's so that only the people that had the password could get to the doc's. The FTP Commander 7.40 is a free FTP program That will let you get to your webpage without even opening up internet explorer or any other browser. The FTP program also usually has a password in the program to the webhost so only you and others that have the password can change the doc's at your website.

http://www.vista.ru/2inter.htm

The FTP navigator 7.50 is not free although it only costs $20. The second one down is FTP commander. Once you learn how to use them they are very easy to use. To me this is the easist method to use over any program that trys to do it all. They usually don't work. By the way, wikipedia lets anyone modify any documents that are on the website so i don't thnk you would really want that.

SRX660

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
SRX660,

thank you for the hint. I looked up my web host and they had an ftp program that runs with Apache, I was also able to "lock" the directory so I think I am pretty much there!

thank you for the help