Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

volcar

volcar

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well folks here is the deal. Yesterday I installed a new 80GB Western Digital Hard Drive to replace the existing 30GB Quantum Fireball LM30 my Gateway Performance 733 System. I did this by setting up the WD Drive as a slave Drive I then used WD “Data Lifeguard Tool 11 for Windows to copy all the data from my old (30GB) to the new (80GB) Drive. I then removed the old drive adjusted the jumper on the new drive to master & hooked it up where the old drive was situated, however, when I power up my system it will not boot up from the new drive. I have checked & windows recognizes the new drive but refuse to boot up from it. I have used PerfectDisk 7.0 (which is installed on my system) to examine both Drives & while the old Drive shoes boot files No.2152, 493.6MB & 2% of portion the new Drive shows 0 for all it appears therefore that while WD “Data Lifeguard Tool 11 for Windows transferred all the other files to the new Drive the boot sector was not copied consequently my system will not boot from the new Drive.
I am therefore stuck & consequently I am seeking assistance in resolving this problem & the usual prompt response will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
With only the new drive in the computer load the recovery console using your win2k disk

at the prompt type
fixboot c:
fixmbr \device\harddisk0

Reboot. ? work?

If not, lifeguard may have not marked the partition active. put the harddrive in another system as a slave, right click MY COMPUTER on that computer, choose MANAGE, go to disk management, select the partition, right click, choose mark as active

remove drive and reinsert in other computer

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
gerryf,
Thanks for the information it's greatly appreciated, however, I have one concern with your advice 1)What is the Recovery Console? & 2) I do not have a win2K disk what I have is WindowsXP on a CD. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sorry, reading two threads at once, thought you had win2k

Same solution though.

Set the PC to boot from CD first, then you start your PC with the winxp disk, choose the repair option (press R when given option to repair or install windows)

The recovery console is a non-gui, partial windows OS that will allow you to make some quick fixes. It will look like old fashioned DOS

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks I will let you know the outcome