Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME ActiveX error

• Please log in to reply

Melissa W.

Melissa W.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When trying to use any Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) function, such as My Computer, Control Panel, etc., I get a Microsoft Internet Explorer error, "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly." Then no icons display.

Earlier today, I removed a trojan, tyavul.exe from this laptop. I don't know if that has any relevance to this issue.

I can run Internet Explorer, depending on where I try to go, though it's buggy. And when I go to Properties > Security, there is no information displayed (no zones listed), so I can't make any ActiveX adjustments there. I tried to reinstall IE6, but it said there was a more recent installation already on the machine. Also, the most likely fix I have found is a registry edit, that says to go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

In the right-pane, double-click the value 1200 and set it's value to 0

1200 corresponds to Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins setting

Repeat the same in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. Now, open Help and Support Center. The restrictions message should no longer be displayed. Note that some third-party security programs enable this restriction as a measure to protect the system from attacks.

HOWEVER, when I go to try to perform this edit, there is no "Zones" folder there.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Edited by Melissa W., 15 May 2006 - 04:32 PM.

Advertisements