Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to boot from cd drive

• Please log in to reply

jon27d

jon27d

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've been trying to follow your tutorial on how to formatt your hard drive posted by gerryf but my computer won't cooperate with me. Its very possible that I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what I don't know. I usually try to avoid messing with hardware. I go into setup by pressing f2 and then go to boot sequence. the sequence is as follows: 1. IDE CD-ROM Device 2. Diskette Drive 3. Hard-Disk Drive C
At this point I exit setup, make sure the CD is in the drive and expect to see windows setup pop up on my screen. But this of course is when the gremlins in my computer decide that it would be fun to just continue on and start up just like it always does and load Windows 2000. Help....?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you see press any key to load from CD and press enter

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no, it just boots like normal. I think maybe I didn't set the boot sequence properly but I don't really know what I'm doing

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you press F10 to save and then type Y to confirm

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
f10 doesn't do anything on my computer. When I went to exit it asked me if I wanted to save the changes and I said yes. I really didn't have to change anything though. the boot sequence was set the way I listed earlier.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the far right enter key

Have you backed up the existing data

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't need any of the data on the computer. I backed up what I need, the rest of the data is expendable

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Do you have just one cdrom in the computer,if yes forge this !
if you have 2 change the cd disk to the other drive .

Edited by My2Cents, 15 May 2006 - 06:27 PM.

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The CPU beeps at me every time I hit enter and still boots normally

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, only one cdrom drive

Advertisements

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"Do you have just one cdrom in the computer,if yes forge this" I have no idea what that means. Sorry guys, you got someone that's kinda computer illiterate on your hands

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Yes, only one cdrom drive

maybe something wrong with the win 2000 disk you are using .try wiping it with a cd cleaner or just a soft cloth

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This is a win 95 cd b/c its the only one I have on hand right now and I need to get this computer at least usable. Its a refurbished computer so it didn't come with a win 2000 disk.

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

This is a win 95 cd b/c its the only one I have on hand right now and I need to get this computer at least usable. Its a refurbished computer so it didn't come with a win 2000 disk.

Going out on a limb here but i dont think win95 b cd is a bootable cd.

Edited by My2Cents, 15 May 2006 - 06:46 PM.

jon27d

jon27d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Can Anyone confirm that? If that's true than I'm going to have to save this fight for another day when I have a different cd.