Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC severely degraded

• Please log in to reply

starbear

starbear

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello and Good Morning.

Just not all sure where to start or post this so please forgive me if this not the correct place.

My PC using ME after startup looks like it is in the safe mode but its not. Folders such as documents and pictures CAN be opened but at greatly reduced quality in appearance. There are numerous error messages and the "D" drive is not always displayed in "My Computer". Even when it is displyed it does not read disks properly and says they are empty and that includes the restore disk.

Just occasionaly it will read the restore disk but say it is not the correct configuration and so cannot be used on that PC! The "E" drive is never displayed now and I cannot connect to internet as AOL not recognised or displays error messages.

All of this appeared to start after a visit from my son who downloaded some long overdue MS updates. After the problem commenced I checked out the updates with my laptop and read about one update that itself created errors caused some PCs to crash. I tried to remove any traces of that update but not sure if I was successful or even if this was the problem in the first place as that particular update had been corrected by later ones.

HELP........please.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Sounds similiar to the problem described here, the solution described there should help, was that update the problem. The solution involves messing with the regisitry, which can result in serious harm to your system. This article describes how to backup registry keys, before editing them.

HTH.

starbear

starbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you for that Comnir I will check it out but just looking at the symptoms quoted by MS it does seem to be a different problem. Trouble is I am not sure what that update ID was. But I will check your links through in more detail.

Thanks again