Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel P4 630 Prescott Chip

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I recently replaced my mobo and my processor because it was an outdated p4 1.8 Ghz chip. I figured the cpu was bottlenecking my ATIx850xt platinum edition graphics card. So i drop the pentium 4 3 ghz in my mobo and fire it up. I've been running prime95 torture test for about 8 hours and it hasnt even hit 100% cpu usage yet. This chip multitasks very well and i have thrown quite a bit of tests at it.

The question i have is, when i run 3dmark03, my graphics card is phenomenal...however my cpu score is about 258. I've seen people with pentium 4 running at 2.8Ghz getting upwards of 650-720 for cpu scores? My cpu peforms fine most times, but in games i am getting horribly low frames per second.

Do i neeed to break the chip in first? It seems to run every application fast and well. Torture test is still going as i'm writing this, along with antivirus software. I'm stumped...i've compared results and my 3dmarks should easily be above 11,000. I"m hitting about 9850 with a terrible cpu score. Any help would be appreciated.

Also my chip does have Hyper Threading so hopefully thats not an issue. Also i have upgraded bios and all drivers.

Thanks everyone,

Michael

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi all,

I recently replaced my mobo and my processor because it was an outdated p4 1.8 Ghz chip. I figured the cpu was bottlenecking my ATIx850xt platinum edition graphics card. So i drop the pentium 4 3 ghz in my mobo and fire it up. I've been running prime95 torture test for about 8 hours and it hasnt even hit 100% cpu usage yet. This chip multitasks very well and i have thrown quite a bit of tests at it.

The question i have is, when i run 3dmark03, my graphics card is phenomenal...however my cpu score is about 258. I've seen people with pentium 4 running at 2.8Ghz getting upwards of 650-720 for cpu scores? My cpu peforms fine most times, but in games i am getting horribly low frames per second.

Do i neeed to break the chip in first? It seems to run every application fast and well. Torture test is still going as i'm writing this, along with antivirus software. I'm stumped...i've compared results and my 3dmarks should easily be above 11,000. I"m hitting about 9850 with a terrible cpu score. Any help would be appreciated.

Also my chip does have Hyper Threading so hopefully thats not an issue. Also i have upgraded bios and all drivers.

Thanks everyone,

Michael

You arent running anything in the background are you like the torture test at the same time you play games and run the benchmarks?

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
No i try to keep processess to a minimum at all times, and i usually throw the test on and leave for a coffee to wait for the results. Just the test is running and i use winPatrol to cut off processes.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well i found my own problem. Hopefully this will help anyone else having a hard time with the pentium 4.

it was a very stupid, and simple mistake. I didn't have a good connection between the heatsink and the motherboard. I took it all apart, cleaned the arctic silver 5, reapplied it and then bam i hit 11456 marks in 3dmark03 and i'm getting great fps in CS:S.

One other question. I have checked my processor at boot up and its running close to 83 degrees celsius. Is it just me or is that extremely high?

I used smartfan program to check during games, and it only hits about 53 degrees celsius...which is correct?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those Precott cpu do have thermal issues but I think 83 c is to high..might be the motherboard sensor is whacked

Edited by happyrck, 17 May 2006 - 03:56 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
found this

actually, 65C under load is getting a bit toasty. Anything over 65C, the Prescott starts to engage thermal throttling (55C for a Northwood), and this can impact performance alot, especially the higher over 65 you get. It inserts idle clocks in the processes, in an effort to cool the processor, so needless to say, it slows you down. It also gives you zero indication that this is happening, sometimes people don't even know it's going on cause it may not slow you down to a noticeable level. Nevertheless, you are approaching the maximum heat that you should see, for a Prescott I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything over 60C long term