Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is slower than molasses in February

• Please log in to reply

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok... my computer is a Dell L1000r... 1000 MHz processor and 128Mb RAM with Windows 2000. Not exactly the most cutting edge thing but it should still work. Here's the deal.... the computer takes forever to load. After the log in screen it takes a good 30 seconds for the start bar to appear and then another 30 seconds for the icons to appear. Then it chug chugs along trying to load the running programs. Why is it so slow?

Here's what I did:

1. Uninstalled some programs

2. Went to MSconfig and removed some unneccesary startup processes

3. Ctrl Alt Delete showed the processes... all are legitimate and neccesary

4. Ran Adaware and Spybot... showed no problems

5. Ran Cleanup! to remove all temporary files and emptied the Recycle Bin

6. When all that was done I defragged it and ran a disk check

Final Results: Went into system info and saw it had 300kb of memory out of 126mb... :whistling:
WHY???? NEED HELP :blink:

Advertisements

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Have you checked for viruses?

Edited by doire, 16 May 2006 - 08:56 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It sounds like hardware limitations to me. 128Mb RAM is not a lot these days. If the comp is clean, you're going to have to live with it or upgrade.

Johanna

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
If its more memory you need go and pick-up RAM at 384MB or Another 128MB of RAM.

That will increase your speed then do a good thorough check for viruses.

GOOD LUCK :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Has it always been so slow or is it something that started lately. If it started lately, can you remember if it followed some specific change, like a software installation?

128 Mb of memory isn't much at all but I saw many computers with the same specs running XP much better then you describe your computer running win 2000..

Please uninstall your antivirus and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't download and update the following programs: Ewido, AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware. Start the computer in safe mode and run all of them, one after the other. In Ewido and Ad-Aware choose to run complete scans. Please report results.

Check how much virtual memory was allocated in your hard disk. I recommend 300MB at least. To check enter: control panel > system > advanced > click settings in "Visual Effects ........... and virtual memory" > advanced. At the bottom of this page you can see or set virtual memory.

Edited by The Skeptic, 17 May 2006 - 01:47 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I tend to agree with you guys, this isnt memory limitation its an actual problem... [bleep], my 11 year old pentium 100mhz runs windows 98 on 32 megs of ram with less trouble than this fellow

aaronhm16

aaronhm16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Know what... I don't feel like speding the time and effort figuring this out. There aren't too many programs or files on it... so i'll just wipe the hard drive.... that should fix whateve the problem is...

i do think it's an actual problem... i have a Dell 800r with a 700mhz processor and 128 ram and it runs XP without a hitch... and it slowed down right after I hooked it up to our home network... oh well... wiping the hard drive won't be too hard.... WOOT for fdisk... lol