Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook is running very slow

• Please log in to reply

patton2006

patton2006

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Can someone please offer some help or support?

My notebook is running slow. My cursor want keep up sometimes. Applications take a long time to open. Internet surfing is slow when on high speed. The text typing cursor blink is out of sequence.

I hope the problems I have described is clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have any spyware tools ...adware tools ...antivirus..if so have you updated and run them recently...have you defragged your system...have you installed any programs or hardware or drivers about the time you started having problems..

patton2006

patton2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have not installed any programs. I keep antivirus and spyware updated. Several times a week. I have not defragmented my system. I am have been a little skeptical about that because other people have said it made things worse.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....
click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..unckeck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...
then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

next get diskeeper lite

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

defragging does not hurt your computer...you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

patton2006

patton2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks, but I am looking for a staff member to help me with this.