Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am in so much trouble, I need help ASAP.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Basically, I was sitting in class today and I was working on a friend of mine's computer. She wanted the whole system to look uber awesome, so I tried to find the little "Starting Windows 98" file that starts up when Windows boots. I thought I found the backup, (IO.sys) and I renamed it to IO.BMP. Well, I figured out that it was NOT the file that I was looking for, and tried to rename the BMP to SYS, but I couldn't. I restarted, praying that it would not crash, and now all I get is an error that says "Non System Disk, replace and press any key to continue." or something like that when MSDOS re-boots. Could someone please help me out?

Info for the computer:

WIN98 SE
128MB RAM

That's really all I know, I can get more info tomorrow, but if anyone knows how I can fix this error, please tell me ASAP. I'm going to get into a lot of trouble if I don't fix this and the Administrators find out I've been snooping around in the hidden files. I may even get expelled.

Edited by Kahami Wolfbane, 16 May 2006 - 04:36 PM.

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
If you have a boot disk boot you PC with it and the change back the name of the IO.sys file or copy the one from the boot disk to the hard drives root. as for the window 98 starting logo make a bitmap 230x400 256colors and save it as logo.sys in the root.

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I don't have the boot disk, I don't even know where to find one. Would you by chance know of where to get one?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry kahami....but that's why us system admins put these restrictions on our computers...you don't own the computer so you're not allowed to mess with it..you need to own up to it and tell the computer guys at school...we can't help you fix something that you shouldn't have been messing with...plain and simple...you need to explain yourself to the best of your ability to the admin's there and maybe they'll show mercy...

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, I mean, I AM going to fess up to it, I just wanted to fix the computer. I'm not going to take and try to get around the system, but my mom may have to pay for it if I can't fix it. I /know/ I shouldn't have been messing with the sys files. I KNOW that. All I'm asking for is a simple file, or info on how to restore the computer. The school does not have the restore disks nor do they have a reboot disk because the guy that was 'fixing' the computers never returned them. If I can't find the information I need here, thats fine, I'll look elsewhere.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
us helping you with this would be the same as us helping you hack the computer in the first place...we've got no assurances that you will indeed tell them (not saying you're lying to me) so we really can't help with this...if they don't have the system disks for their computers...that's their fault...not yours...you can't be held accountable for that....but...as stated...we can't help you with this issue..

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I...really never thought of it like that...alright, I'll tell Rev. Dunn tomorrow. I know he won't like it, but if I tell him in full what had happened, I'm sure he'll forgive me if I go directly to him and not through Thelma. I'm sorry if I almost got any of you in trouble, I was never intending to.

I do thank you all for what help you have provided me anyway. You guys really don't have to, I know you know that. Any admins that wish to close this thread may.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you didn't almost get us in trouble...that's what i'm here to ensure hehe...thank you for understanding...you'd probably be surprised at how much better it will be for you to tell them first what you did...and have them help you try to fix it than if you did it the other way around...because...even if you did fix it...then told them about breaking it...they'd probably be more angry about it "but i fixed it" wouldn't help...i'm gonna close this thread now that it's taken care of....good luck