Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe mode boot problem

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I recently found a small tweak to XP that I want to apply. I need to be in safe mode and be able to run cmd to do this. However, when I try to boot in "Safe mode with command prompt" it hangs while loading driver gagp30kx.sys. It will stay there forever unless I turn it off by holding in the button. I looked it up and found out that it is my "VIA CPU to AGP Controller" but that didn't help any. I reinstalled my video drivers and that didn't help either. How can I get safe mode to work again?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
why do you need "safe mode with command prompt" and not just safe mode ?

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Because I need to be able to run cmd once inside windows. I tried booting in regular safe mode and got the same hang at the same place.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what tweak are you trying to do that has to be done in safe mode...
you can get to a command prompt by START..RUN..type in CMD...try your tweak

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'd rather not say what the tweak is, but can we please focus on the task at hand? I can't boot into safe mode, it hangs at gagp30kx.sys, can you please help me fix it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your response makes me uncomfortable--happyrck might have an alternative way of doing what you want. When you ask for help, please be open to alternatives.

I would start by loading the chipset drives. If the drive is what you think it is, you should be able to get that driver from your motherboard maker..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
doesn't pass the sniff test with me either

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
That worked, thank you.