Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont start from XP CD

• Please log in to reply

roscoeb

roscoeb

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I rebooted with the XP CD and got to the recovery console. I replaced the kernel32.dll, but the computer still wont do anything but restart over and over again.

Would it make sense for me to reinstall Windows completely?

Aside from the day it would take, would I keep my programs? (Stupid question?) If I used the backup that I made earlier today after a successful startup without any problems, would I simply be reintroducing the problem?

I am very frustrated!

Keith et al,

Further to my start up problem where the computer continuously restarts without getting to the logon screen, and having tried the suggestions you made in my post of yesterday, I tried to follow some instructions you gave to someone else who had the restarting problem: reinstall kernel32.dll

I booted from the original Windows XP Home CD. The blue screen announced the loading of a multitude of drivers, etc. It then cleared and the line at the bottom said "Setup is starting Windows." It has been saying that (with no cd-drive or HD activity) for 30 minutes. I was hoping to get an opportunity to start the Recovery Console and do a 'repair.'

Something has gone wrong! (duh!)

What can you suggest?

Q

Edited by roscoeb, 16 May 2006 - 06:46 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this

Users who have a corrupt or missing boot.ini file, are running Microsoft Windows XP, and have a Microsoft Windows XP CD can rebuild the systems boot.ini file by following the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD into the computer. Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
2. Reboot the computer with the CD and press any key when prompted to press any key to boot from the CD. If you do not receive this prompt and/or are not able to boot from the CD see document CH000217.
3. Once in the Microsoft Setup menu press R to open the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to use; if you only have Windows XP on the computer you will only have one prompt.
5. Once prompted for the password enter the Admin password and press enter.
6. Once at the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild to start the rebuild process.
7. The rebuild process will step you through a number of steps depending upon how many operating systems you have on the computer and how the computer is setup. Below is a listing of the common steps you are likely going to encounter.

* Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

* Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition".

* Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

8. Once you have completed all the available options in the rebuild and are back at the prompt type exit to reboot the computer.

roscoeb

roscoeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Help!!

I cannot remember my administrator password. In fact, I didn't think I had one. I haven't logged on as the administrator in ages. My own logon account has administrator privileges. What in Heaven's name am I going to do now? The setup program won't let me make a repair without that password.

Also, the only Windows installation that is shown at the beginning of the repair process is shown as being on drive G! Shouldn't it be on C?

Q

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello roscoeb...

When using Recovery Console you will always be prompted for the Administrator Password. If you have never set the password, leave the field blank and press "Enter" to continue.

The procedure suggested by happyrck should rebuild the boot sector and (hopefully) allow the machine to boot to Windows. We can then take a look at the boot.ini file to make sure it is correct. Give the procedure a try...if it doesn't do the trick, we'll try some additional steps to see if we can get you running again.

wannabe1

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this might help

Free Tools

Free Windows password-cracking tools are usually Linux boot disks that have NT file system (NTFS) drivers and software that will read the registry and rewrite the password hashes for any account including the Administrators. This process requires physical access to the console and an available floppy drive but it works like a charm! I've done it myself several times with no glitch or problem whatsoever.

Beware!!! Resetting a user's or administrator's password on some systems (like Windows XP) might cause data loss, especially EFS-encrypted files and saved passwords from within Internet Explorer. To protect yourself against EFS-encrypted files loss you should always export your Private and Public key, along with the keys for the Recovery Agent user. Please read more about EFS on my What's EFS? page. Out of the following list, the only tool that will no cause any harm to EFS-encrypted files on your hard disk is the Windows Password recovery system.

Edited by wannabe1: Removed links to Password Cracking Sites

Edited by wannabe1, 17 May 2006 - 12:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
happyrck: We can not and will not assist in cracking passwords. This user may have a legitimate need and be absolutely sincere. The next ten users who see the information may not have such noble intentions. :blink:

roscoeb...

Please give my last suggestion a try...when using recovery console that is almost always the case. :whistling:

wannabe1

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Opps...wont happen again