Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Adress Reads All Zero's

• Please log in to reply

compuhelpless

compuhelpless

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's a brief description of what happened and what Dell told me to do. I was loading my Verizon DSL software, got to the last step and when it tried to log on to set up the account all that happened was it kept trying to load a page that kept coming up "bad url". Called verizon, they said it was a system manager problem, told me to call dell. Called dell they said to back up c drive, erase it and re format it. Does this sound like the only fix. When It came up bad url it was under the Internet Explorer, if I open and sign on to my AOL account(dial up-no cable avail. I live out in the sticks!) and then open up IE to surf using my favorites that I had on before I have no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Advertisements

compuhelpless

compuhelpless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, My computer has Window's XP

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Unless you display some upfront knowledge on computers, and I mean serious knowledge, Dell tends to make you reformat.

I'm no expert in these problems, but a safe place to start is with the winsock patch. Here. Download and run.

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
First, you do not need to install anything but the filters on your phones to use DSL there is the software verizon sends you is useless. Second, I would check your network card to be sure it is functioning properly. Go to Start--Run and type cmd and click OK. When the command prompt opens, type ping localhost. You should get a readout that indicates packets sent and packets received. If sent does not equal received, you have a problem with your network card. If sent equals received, network card is ok. Next step would be to check the dsl router. Contact Verizon and ask if they can see your router. If they can't, they need to replace it.