Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Networking problem

• Please log in to reply

IrvG

IrvG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had to disable some devices in order to get my browser to work, which it does now. So I'm trying to set up a new local network place, and when I enter the info(\\10.0.0.13\myname, which I can ping, by the way) and hit "finish", it comes back with an error that the "network is not present or not started." if I enable some other devices, it returns an error that it can't find the path. At any rate, what are the minimum devices that have to be enabled so that the new network place can be established.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is the client for microsoft networks installed?

Control Panel > Networks and Dial-up Connections , right click Local Area Connection, choose Properties

IrvG

IrvG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Local area connection doesn't appear in the Network Connections box. I suppose I disabled something that it needs in order to display that. I only have "New Connection"

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is NEW CONNECTION, your network connection?

LOCAL AREA CONNECTION is a generic name that Windows gives as default

If you name it something else it will be that....what are the properties on that connection

IrvG

IrvG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"New Connection" doesn't have any properties - it's just the icon to start up the new connection wizard. I know that there was a "Local Area Connection" icon in there at one time, and it has since disappeared. That's why I think it has to do with a disabled device, but I don't know which one. I certainly didn't rename anything. At any rate, the Network Dial-up has to do with connecting to the Internet, which I'm able to do. My problem is setting a new "network place" which is done in the "network place" area.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No it is

Networks AND Dial-up Connections

If you do not have a local area connection, you cannot network

the local area connection requires at a minimim

a network card

a network client

a networ protocal (tcpip)

If you do not have all three, you are not going to have a network. Do you have a network interface card? Is it working properly? In device manager, is there a yellow ! next to it