Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A new dell

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one more thing to try...first get / download the drivers for the burners...then go to device manager and unistall one of the drives...including the drivers for it....shutdown and restart...let windows find the new device and ask for the drivers for it...if this works do the same for your other burner...

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Happy to try this but I hesitate because when my tech was here and reformatting the hard drive, he then installed the burning software and all the drivers except for one which would NOT install no matter how he tried - neither from the disk I had nor the Web site. He worked for a good while at this; then we finally called India and the India tech proceeded to do everything my tech had done and also was unable to install that one driver. Finally the India tech did a remote control of my PC and long story short he said that particular driver had to be installed manually which he did. I do not understand just what that meant or what transpired - just know that the driver in question finally got installed. So while I understand and appreicate your suggestion, I am afraid to try and again get entangled with the same situation again around that one driver. But will keep your idea in mind certainly as I work to resolve this issue. Right now end of the semester is at hand and I am consumed at the college in finishing my class so that I do not have too much time to keep at this - but soon will be off for the summer and can spend more time on my PC and its problems.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in your first post you said the drives NEVER worked...is that after the onsite and remote techs fixed /installed the drivers for them or did they work for awhile

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
to gerryF by the term integrated program for burning, I take it that is the windows burning program? If so I did try that and it worked!!!!! That is why I think the drives are operable. Have to do more testing re using that feature to see about both drives.

Also as I said I have friends using Roxio on Dell - no problems. And I do despair about the India techs and their advice. I find them less than knowledgable about many issues so never take their advice too seriously. This is also the reason I did not choose Dell's software tech support - just the hardware. And to complicate matters, where I live the tech support is less than competent though I do believe the new tech I now have is honest but may not be totally experienced re some issues. Do not want to judge him too harshly as he has done well so far re problems on my PC. Hope I have clarified the issue gerryf?

And have to repeat, cannot but be thankful for this forum and the continued support given around my issues. It is nice not to be alone struggling with my PC.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, I would say they are operable as well...if one burns, they should all pretty much burn.

So, what do we want to accomplish at this point? (ie, is there something you need to burn that the integrated burning will not?)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
At this point it is up to me to do some more testing/studying of drives, using the integrated burning feature of Windows, and especially learning more about burning drives, disks to use in each as well as what burning programs to use.

Again am caught up at work at school but as soon as the semester ends will have much more relaxed time to devote to my PC issues.

Will keep all posted as to my progress (hopefully not lack of same). Do indeed appreciate the constant following on this post. It has been nothing but helpful.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I find different CD-writers have a preference for certain colored cds, if not brands.

If you look at burned cds, the back will sometimes have different colored hues--blue, green or gold. Blues work well for me, green do not. Gold also work well.

If you want to read up on CD-Recording, here are a couple of good places to starts
http://www.mrichter....imer/primer.htm
http://www.cdrfaq.org/

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have saved the links you posted - look excellent for study. And did not realize about colors in CDs - will have to take note of same.