Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant import transferred email into Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi Folks

I wanted to reformat my laptop, so therefore needed to transfer my emails too. i have done this in the past with no problem. So I went to find where they are stored and got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Carroll\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{8AE1C31C-FE58-480B-9EE7-3E57DAB5F302}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

My Inbox had several sub folders with a lot of emails in them. I tried to go to the above location just to see that all the folders were there. But I couldnt find it with Windows Exploere, and still cant. Theres no "local settings".

Anyway I dont knwo what i did but somehow moved all the folders to a thumb drive. I think I may have just copied and pasted them. And put them all in a master folder called OE.

So now Im up and runnin with my reformatted laptop. I moved OE to my desktop, and tried to import. When I import I get a big list of all the folders/emails, all seem to be listed together. Now there all empty!!! But they ARE in OE with dbx extensions, and are not empty, they are a few kb each. I cant seem to import them. Also BEFORE I imported them, I had received some email today, and stored them in a folder. But when I imported, or tried to, the OE stuff, all the new ones disappeared. Im at my wits end... what hve i done wrong, and can it be undone?

Many thanks

KC

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When i want to save my emails i go to the folder you describe and copy each dbx file to a flash drive. I will then move the dbx files to the same folder in the new computer and open outlook and import them. To be able to see the local settings folder do this.

Windows XP

* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.

You should see the folder now.

You might try this also.

http://www.updatexp.com/tip23.html

SRX660

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

There have been so many problems with this that i dont know where to start...my files are copied to a thumb drive, and I have no moved the folder containing them to the desktop. hen I try to import from there I end up with 4 or 5 copies of everything, and they ae all empty!

So the basic problem is getting the files from the folder on the desktop to OE, and then finding that they do actually contain the files I saved. (In the desktop folder the are not empty files) :whistling:

thanks

k