Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP upgrade and bad motherboard- yikes!

• Please log in to reply

drmull

drmull

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello - My PC refused to boot and showed "BIOS Rom Checksum Error" along with a strange two-toned beep code that sounded like a foghorn (one high, one low). I tried replacing the battery on the MB (Iwill KA266) with no change. I wanted to flash the BIOS but the floppy would not spin up. I tried installing a new BIOS chip from Biosman. Now I don't get anything - nothing on the monitor and no beep code. I guess I have to assume the MB is fried, don't you think??

If I try replacing the MB and have to do an XP repair, how in the world do I do it since I upgraded to XP from Win98? I have my upgrade CD with product key but only have a copied CD of Win 98 with no key. Win98 on my original hard drive was OEM and copied to the current drive with a Ghost disk image, then later upgraded to XP. I installed my current MB/CPU years ago as an upgrade from NEC OEM stuff.

I know the simple thing would be to get a new PC and and add my current drive to the new system - but I can't imagine re-installing dozens of applications that will no longer work if I move the drive.

So- do I have any chance of doing an XP repair install under my weird circumstances (OEM Win98 w/ XP upgrade)?? Thanks for any help/suggestions - this situation is freaking me out...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It will still work--maybe

When Windows XP installs, it installs (for lack of a better term) a hardware fingerprint (partially a stability reason, partially a security/anti-piracy issue)

When you take your existing window installation on a harddrive and drop it into a new computer, the OS will act like a drunk waking up in someone else's bed, only worse....instead of banging it's knee on a nightstand, it will literally keel over and die.

However, sometimes, and I have about 50-50 luck with this, if you run a REPAIR INSTALLATION the very first time you insert an OS in a foreign motherboard, it will sometimes lurch around the room until it sobers up and works properly.

But you MUST run the repair on the very first boot. If you drop the harddrive in another system and try and boot it, it will not be repairable.

So, before putting the harddrive in, boot the system and make certain that it boots to CD-ROM first. Insert the windows xp upgrade disk, and follow the instructions here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Windows Upgrade can perform a repair installation.

(for future reference, Windows Upgrade can even run a clean install, you insert the windows upgrade disk just like any other, and at a certain point, windows install will ask for qualifiying media....then you insert the windows 98 cd, it checks it, and then asks you to reinsert the upgrade disk

You do not need to install 98 first and then upgrade

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
gerrryf - Thanks for the response. I read the post you linked me to and I want to make sure of some things. If I drop in a new MB, the very FIRST time I turn the PC on I need to have the XP upgrade disc in the CD Rom drive & enter BIOS setup (before it attempts to start up). In setup I tell it to boot from the CD drive. I assume I then save and exit. Will it try to boot from the CD at that moment??

Also, I have a CD Rom and DVD drive on the same IDE cable. Will BIOS setup see both drives? I want to make sure I have the upgrade CD in the correct drive when I begin this process.

Thanks again. I'm going to try and be brave and give this repair a shot!

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
BTW - Th MB I want is an EPOX EP-8KRAI. It's an ATX that is close to the config of the dead MB. The Epox has what is called "EZ Boot".

"Simply press ESC to select your bootable device. No more hassle to search the BIOS menu, change & restart."

This is a good thing, right?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, good thing

Your PC will attempt to boot to whatever optical drive (cd or dvd) is the primary device, but it should work either as long as your optical device is set first, then the harddrive

Even though the old motherboard and new motherboard are similar, they are very likely different

Yes, you can use the ez-boot to pick the proper device

Like I said, I have mixed luck with this process. I've had two dells with only slight changes (rev1 and rev 2) not work, and have had two different brands work.

If it fails, you can still recover your data, but your programs will be trashed (and even if it works, you will still need to re-activate Windows, so don't freak when that happens)

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The part of this equation I didn't mention is the CPU. I ASSUME mine is still good (Athlon 1.2G -Socket A). I wanted to order the Epox bundle from Tiger Direct with an Sempron 3300 (2GB) just to speed things up a little. Then I saw this and it scared me to death! Should I try my old CPU first with maybe a new fan (mine is beginning to make interesting noises)??

http://forums.amd.co...php/t73969.html

BTW - Do I connect everything including AGP card to the new MB before doing this repair process?

THANKS again, gerry.

Edited by drmull, 18 May 2006 - 12:03 PM.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK - maybe I should spend a bit more and go with this bundle:

http://www.tigerdire...2215082&CatId=0

In case you don't want to open the link, it's a Gigabyte K8NSC-939 (well-reviewed) with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz OEM processor. It's $165 after rebates. I like the MB because it can connect everything I have, including FDD.

I'm sure there are many other choices - but I will go crazy if I keep looking. Meanwhile I've got no PC.

Edited by drmull, 18 May 2006 - 12:27 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the iwill you current have is a socket A motherboard, that accepts Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron/Sempron CPUs. the Epox you said is also a socket A that will take both the memory and CPU from your old system

The Gigabyte, as you've surmised, will not use the CPU, but will use the same RAM

The boost in performance from the old Athlon 1.2 to the second one is substantial, but do you need it? I've got servers running on less than your old one, but that's all they do is serve files all day. So, really, need dictates purchasing.

If you do a lot of gaming, I'd definitely spring for the combo.

I was a little cranky about gigabytes in the past, but the last few systems I've built with them have been nice, so no issues there.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
"Need dictates purchasing" - I like that. If I go with a new Socket A MB and try my old CPU, is it difficult to remove CPU/heat sink from the old MB without damage? I'm guessing I don't want to break the thermal bond between the heatsink & CPU. I hope I can find a replacement CPU fan - it is OEM.

My only thought about going with the Socket 939 bundle is to get into a faster 64-bit CPU for not a lot of $$. Maybe it's time to update a little!

What do you think?

BTW - Sorry to ask again, but do I connect everything including AGP card to the new MB before doing the repair install??

THANKS

Edited by drmull, 18 May 2006 - 01:25 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can connect them or not...does not matter. I just want to make certain that the motherboard boots to the cd-rom first because you only get one crack at it with this particular issue.

You will almost certainly need to remove the heatsink from the cpu to get at the lever holding the cpu in place. Remove/release the bracket holding the heatsink fan in place, and rotate the heatsink a little left and right to break the bond, then lift.

Clean the surface of the cpu and heatsink with a Q-tip ™ and rubbing alcohol. Leave no residue. Add new heatsink compound, following instructions that came with it.

More is not better--ever. The trick of heatsink compound is not that more of it transfers heat better, it is that eliminates airpockets between the heat sink and CPU.

Advertisements

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I decided to go for the Gigabyte bundle - should be here in a couple of days. It doesn't have "EZ Boot" but I guess it's EZ enough to get into the BIOS setup.

Warning- possibly stupid question alert. Do I need to have the XP Upgrade disc already sitting in the drive BEFORE the new board ties to boot from the CD drive the first time (after I've selected that drive in BIOS setup & hit Save & Exit)? I'm concerned because you mentioned I'll get one shot at this!

Or..if there's no disc in the drive when it tries to boot, will it ask me to insert one??

Thanks, Gerry!!! You've been the only reason I feel mildly comfortable doing this repair install.

BTW - Here's hoping I don't get a dead MB or CPU out of the box. I guess that's pretty common.

Edited by drmull, 18 May 2006 - 10:27 PM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Just a note
My PC refused to boot and showed "BIOS Rom Checksum Error" After you changed bios

Your motherboard can not automatically recognise cpu.other than amd duron.

System Bios upgrade has reset motherboard settings for clock date,cpu so until set will not boot so,at start up press del or f1 enter in bios setup (soft III setup on abit boards) to change cpu to correct type and multiplier a duron 1.2(850mhz) should be 1200(100) multipler:x12 cpu clock 100/33
save changes f10 and system should restart ,cheers :whistling:

Edited by HaraldR, 18 May 2006 - 11:50 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I am just trying to stress that you need to make sure that system boots to the CD before it tries to access the harddrive

If the pc tries to boot from the harddrive, that is when the OS installation will become hopelessly corrupt.

Harald, that error is usually associated with a message to PRESS f1 (or something) to enter BIOS

This is different from a BIOS chip that has given the ghost. But yes, you will get that error (or some message) after a bios flash.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You will be best off doing boots in a progression. The first time you boot have just the CD drive connected to IDE channel 2. Go immediately into the BIOS. Make sure the date-time is set properly and that the device boot order is optical drive then floppy drive then hard drive. Before exiting and saving the changes to the BIOS load the XP disc in the drive. Now save settings and reboot. The hard drive is still disconnected at this point. Make sure that the system boots from the CD. The install program will notify you that it can't locate a hard drive - that's all right. Turn off the system.

Now you know the system is set up properly to attempt the reinstall of the OS. Hook up power and the data cable to the hard drive and IDE channel 1 (the optical drive should still be on channel 2). When you turn on the system it will boot from the XP CD again, but this time it should find the hard drive. Procede with the install and choose to do a reinstall if that is listed as an option.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I see - this is way to make sure it doesn't try to boot to the HD the first time, thereby screwing everything up. Am I correct?

My current setup is this - IDE1 has the HD as master, a Zip drive as slave. IDE2 has the CD-ROM as master and a DVD-ROM as slave.

To do your method can I simply leave the connector going to the slave (DVD) unhooked and then connect it when I connect the HD?

BTW - After I select "Save & Exit" in the BIOS settings will I be prompted to reboot? You said to turn off the system after the install program tells me it can't find a HD. Do you mean shut it down forcefully, i.e. basically pull the plug?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm still a little nervous about this!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE - I just read that if I do leave the DVD drive disconnected during the first step, I need to connect the CD-ROM to the connector on the end of the IDE cable. Does that sound right?

"If a single device is used, it should be attached to the connector at the end of the cable, and the connector in the middle of the cable left unattached. Using the middle connector and leaving the end connector unattached is technically allowed for regular PIO and DMA transfer modes, but leaves part of the cable "dangling". This is called a stub and creates much worse electrical characteristics on the cable, due to reflections from the unterminated ends of the cable wires. It is not recommended."

Edited by drmull, 19 May 2006 - 10:29 PM.